Thursday, January 27, 2011

Week 6 in the MTC

Hi
Elder Burr and Elder Lynch are doing well. They may or may not be coming down with my cold though. :/
I started getting sick on Friday. Friday was a good day though. I saw Sarah Hamilton, who I went to Girls Nation with, and Chris Teuscher. We also got to tell stories in class and Elder Lynch fell asleep earlier in the day so then he bought a kilo of candy. Brother Newman bore us his testimony about how the Holy Ghost told him to put cinnamon on his fajitas and then he saw his favorite chef do that on the tv the next day.
On Saturday we had a somewhat impromptu zone meeting on planning. Our teachers all felt that we could plan better so they got us together and talking to us about the importance of planning. It was a great activity. I really liked when we talked about Ether 2 and how we should just go and do, not wait around for 4 years to receive inspiration. I took a nap at gym today (and did so on Monday and Tuesday as well).
On Sunday Sister Wixom, the primary general president came and spoke. She is such a cute fun lady. She talked to us about the song, Nephi's Courage. We told the Lord that we would go and do. The Lord will provide a way. He wants us to be obedient. It was really neat having her use such a familiar song. It has now taken on new meaning.
Elder Burr gave the lesson in our equivalent of Sunday School today. He did amazing speaking about patience. Elder Lynch and I were both wondering where this amazing-ness came from.
Monday's LGM was a hoot. We had my favorite speaker (think brunette Heath Ledger) who was teaching us about the importance of getting people to church and how we should basically sell it to them- give them a sample like Saturdays at Costco! He then had two elders put on curly gray wigs and try to sell Sister Bailey cookies. It was a hoot and a half.
On Tuesday I woke up and I could not talk. It was entertaining in that sad kind of way that I would freak out people when they heard me try to speak. We had to teach Brother Vehawn, but I didn't say much because I couldn't. The elders did so good working together though. I was really proud of them. I went to the gym with Sister Bailey at 6am so that she could run. I went to yoga and it was nice. A little too earlier for my liking though (no worries- I took a nap during normal gym time!)
Big news. Elder Lynch got a letter from his girlfriend. I think Elder Burr was more excited about this. It has been great for Elder Lynch. He has actually stepped it up a notch. He has also been more positive. It has been so nice. She should write him all the time.
After 45 days of having rootbeer every morning for breakfast Elder Lynch had juice instead yesterday morning. It was a miracle. And he liked breakfast. And lunch. This NEVER happens. It was epic.
So I got kicked out of class today. Ha ha. Brother Newman had finished teaching our last grammar principle (that is right- done learning Latvian) and we were switching gears to practice teaching him. He then proceeded to sigh and abruptly say, "Okay, Masa (that is what everyone calls me). You have two options. Either you can go to the health clinic now and have MDT later or you can teach me now and go to the clinic during your MD time. Just go get better." Needless to say we chose NOT to teach him and went on our grand adventure. I got right in to see a nurse who says I have a virus and gave me a ga-zillion recommendations of medication to take. We went to the outside world to go to the pharmacy. I got some Sudafed. I'm also taking ibuprofen and robitussen. It is quite the concoction. I do sound like a barking mad dog though. The elders were SOOOOOOOOOO ecstatic to be in the outside world. I think Elder Burr may have been prancing. "Masa, thank you for being sick! We are so glad you aren't well!" These were common phrases on our 2 block walk to the pharmacy.
I taught in the TRC with Elder Lynch. We did really well and you could feel the spirit when we were telling stories about praying to God. We taught our two investigators the first 5 commandments (out of the ten). We did well!
This morning I attempted to sleep in with Sister Huntington. She caught my cold. I didn't sleep very well, but we couldn't go to the temple since we'd infect everyone. We received some sad news this morning. Two elders from our zone went home today for various reasons. Hopefully they will be back though. We got two new sisters in the zone yesterday. One is going to Guam and the other to Independence, MO.

The church is true. Don't worry about me getting sick. I got a blessing this morning and as Elder Lynch said, "There! Now you'll be better!"

Love you lots! I'm praying for you!
Masa Mari

1 comment:

  1. what a long sum up ! I come for the first time on your blog. I'm impressed :)
    I'll trie to write you with e-mail and sand you a photo of Seth. kiss

    ReplyDelete