Monday, May 30, 2011

week 15


















Hello from Lovely Liepaja!

Monday we had a family home evening at the beach. We got to collect sea glass and look through the old forts that they tried to blow up. That didn't work so they threw some of them in the sea. We went out to lunch with Rihards, the 26-year-old counselor in the bishopric. I got a traditional Liepajan dish- Liepaja's Mencinis. It was some sort of fish with basically home-made scallopped potatoes. We had it at this cute restaurant, Pastnieka Maja.

Masa has been sick a lot this week so I've been cooking and making phone calls. Food highlights included nutella and banana crepes (Sigh...France) and eggplant parmesaen. I also made some wicked good Italian soup. I am glad I found this skill as it can still be a little chillier here...which I love. Towards the end of the week my phone calls started to be more successful- there are people who want us to call back! It is a long process with lots of not interested people....some of them were contacted way back in 2004 so they don't remember or care often now.

Saturday we had an adventure at the church. The alarm went off and so President called us. This was natually right when I was making Swedish meatballs and we were about to eat dinner so we had to turn off the stove and go find out what happened at the church! This big burly security/police man came with us to investigate. Someone left a window open and the wind set the alarm off- ha ha.

We also went and visited the infamous ring man. Maris has been making rings for over 25 years. We wanted to visit his wife, but she wasn't in. He told us about making rings and how to find amber on the beach. He even gave us some. He is a really neat man, and if anyone wants a custom made silver ring (or necklace or bracelet or whatever) you should let me know while I'm in Liepaja. He has designed missionaries some pretty cool CTR rings.

Sunday we went on splits! Sista F. went with Santa and I went with Madara and Sandis (who had his two nieces- twins- 6 months). They did so great! I switched Sandis the stroller for my copy of the Book of Mormon and they went out contacting. It was so neat to see them so excited and to encourage them. I won't mind training twice, those girls are going to get a lot of loving and help so that they can succeed. We ran into a miracle- Ena and Jolanta, who we were going to visit. We taught them a quick lesson in the park and then went and did some harvesting.

I'd write more but my hour is spent today. Know that life is good and the church is true!

Create a great day,
Sister Lindstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment