Monday- we took Presidents to the Ukrainian Virtuve. It was not quite as exciting as last time. I did finally try cold beet soup- yum! We received a text from Zane that the house was in a panic. We went running over, worried that Janis didn't want to get married anymore. Nothing was wrong, Zane was just being dramatic, Kristine was just a little nervous.
Tuesday- we had thunderstorms last night! Zigrida, Valda's mom died during the night. We went over there with Santa and her 21-year old son Kristaps to help her move some of her stuff. We were quite worried that there was going to be a dead body inside because Valda told us it would smell and asked if we were afraid. Thankfully, there was no dead body, but a TON of clothes to move. Valda is scared to be in her apartment now so she's moving in with her boyfriend Janis. It was hilarious to watch Kristaps fold a 15-year-old girls clothes and look at them. I love Santa's relationship with Kristaps. She found two giant jars of fat (what the?!) in the bathroom (huh?!). Kristaps was afraid of it so she was waving it around at him. We also altered Kristine's dress (thank you mom) and taught Arta a lesson about prophets.
Wednesday- my allergies sure are bad this week. Whatever is in the air, I'm allergic- sneezing, watery eyes, the whole caboodle. I finally learned how to iron properly trying to get the wedding dress wrinkle free. I got it! I can come home now, it only took me 18 months. I had a really strong feeling to give a lonely looking teenage girl that was selling strawberries a Book of Mormon. She looked like she could use it and I hope that she will contact us. We also bought some of her strawberries and they were very delicious. We also went to visit a member and we took her grocery shopping. She was so excited to have food! She was probably my most favorite person that I've taken because her countenance totally changed as we took her. We had a good lesson with less-active Marika in which the Spirit was so thick you could have licked it and tasted the vanilla flavor.
Thursday- We spent a good chunk of the morning figured out exactly how much food we needed to buy for the Ligo party and exactly what we should buy. The grocery list we were given was quite vague. We managed, and I also managed to buy a ridiculous amount of chibas (slippers) and some wooden Latvian symbols that I am making into Christmas tree ornaments. The Ligo outdoor market was great this year! In the evening we played American football for sports. Watch out, Sister G. has nails! Elder Holdaway and I both ended up bleeding, and we were only playing flag football. Santa was waiting on the side lines with a mask and bandaids. Sister G and Elder H both ran into a pole. I laughed so hard because it looked like something Amber would do (in a good way!). We also had a fun lesson with a member who just came back from Sweden. He was very honest and I enjoyed his questions. He is a sharp man and he wants to do more service and feel the Spirit more in his life.
Friday- good grief, we were busy. Kristine came to the church 30 minutes late to get ready, so we did hair and makeup in record time. Janis peaced out right before they were going to sign all the documents, but luckily he appeared again. Kristine was so stinking happy. Janis was not. I guess that is what happens when you live together anyway? I don't know, but SG and I had a fun time running away from Kristine's and Zane's creepy brother Janis who kept trying to take pictures of us. Kristine's parents were there but only her mom came to her baptism in the evening. It honestly didn't seem much like a wedding, but only 2 witnesses were able to be their for the signing.
We ate lunch and then headed with Santa to go to Zigrida's funeral. Also another interesting experience. The paid preacher with his long pony tail and very memorized speech honestly reminded me of a dramatic interp in debate. "We all have our own paths in life, filled with sorrow..." He gave no comfort and didn't ever talk about God. It made me really appreciate the plan of salvation and how our clergy is NOT paid. Valda was very sad and it was quite fitting that we walked behind the casket being carried on six men's shoulders with the cross in front in the pouring rain. I was very glad I had an umbrella, but I was still very soaked after the whole affair. They buried the casket quite quickly and we were able to go home and change and be to the church in time for the baptism! Getting to and from the cemetery was pretty ridiculous, walking through rain and fields and puddles. Presidents said he was my friend since I had an umbrella, but if it were sunny he wouldn't be. He is so goofy!
It was neat to see Kristine baptized because she was very prepared and it meant a lot to her. Eliza started bawling when she saw her mom in the baptismal outfit and then again when she was in the water. Eliza doesn't like getting her head washed. We had a fun Ligo party afterwards with meat, cheese, bread, salad, cake, and of course head-wreath making! We played a sing off game (Americans v. Latvian [aka not fair because they have tautas dziesmas]), a candy string eating contest, and a balloon popping contest (when you have it connected to your ankle). I totally won! Wahoo!
Saturday- actual Ligo, was pretty quiet. We talked with Liga (baptized last July). She is sick but is doing well. It is sad to see that she doesn't get the gospel. We also met with another less-active and had an excellent lesson with her.
Sunday- we had the Boswells down! So fun! President Boswell has some pretty ridiculously great stories. I envy his life. I'd tell you some of the stories, but I'd probably get in trouble, lol. We made them NY ziti and Thor's bread which they loved. We sat around the table and President Boswell kept on telling more stories. We were also able to have interviews with them which was nice. In the evening we had a zone conference call and I talked about making English an effective finding tool.



No comments:
Post a Comment