Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 6


Sisters Sutterfield and Lindstrom

So the week wasn't too entertaining, so I will try to get some more "cultural" stuff by trying to do the alphabet.

A- The apartment. Right now we are having problems with the electricity. Good thing I have a great sense of humor otherwise only being able to run the washing machine and nothing else wouldn't be so funny. We just rearranged the living room and got rid of the old lady lacy stuff (we rented it decked out with awful figurines and yeah...just not 20 year old people stuff). I have a queen size bed to myself and we have a small kitchen with no table. All our neighbors are remodeling. You could almost set your clock to when you hear them start in the morning.

B- The buildings here could be gorgeous (in Riga center). They are mostly from the Art Nouveau- early 1900s. Sadly they are getting run down now. I wish I could have seen them in their glory days.
Borsch is very popular here and I love it Gramma!
The bread is definitely not as good as in France. They have great rye bread though.

C- The cars are actually normal/large here. They don't have any of the small compact cars. There are a lot of BMWs and Audis. All midsized sort of stuff.

D- Dogs. Everyone has them! Big and small.
Doors. All the houses have double doors. If someone wants to talk, they just open one door and yell at you through the other. I'm not sure what started the double door thing.

E- The Eighties. People are stuck in the 80's here...clothing, music, everything. Even rollerblading and crimped hair is in.

F- The food all comes in bags. Mayonnaise, ice cream, ketchup, yogurt, milk, you name it, it comes in a bag. I suppose it is really environmentally friendly though!

G- Grass! There were signs of grass and spring, but it just started snowing again today. EVERYONE talks about how green it gets in the summer and how amazing it is though.

H- Hair. The Russian red (I'm sure Erik knows what I am talking about) is VERY in.
Honey- They do not have OODLES of honey here as I was told. I did find some creamy honey today on sale, so we will see how it is though.
Hats- hats hats hats. They always wear them and they often remind one of newsies. People will tell you that you are going to get sick if it is cold outside and you don't have a hat.

I- ice cream! It is REALLY sweet here and is hard to eat a large amount of.

Well, Time is up! I love you all, the church is true,
Until next week!
Mas

No comments:

Post a Comment