Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 29

Hello!

So on Monday we didn't get to go biking because Sister Ferrin wasn't feeling well. Sad day, I was excited to go biking, but we should be going to the beach this Monday! We took Sintija and Sandijs with us to Panna. It was an okay food joint, not my favorite. Everyone enjoyed watching the Discovery channel playing on the telly (except Sister Ferrin, it was a show on snakes and she hates snakes). Sintija went with us to Humana (aka Savers/DI) and we had fun finding awful clothes and then we got caught out in a rainstorm with Sintija...we were both trying to fit under my mini umbrella and running through the tirgus (aka market of the outdoor variety); it was pretty fun. We went and had a great lesson with the Tolmačovi family. Sister Tolmačovi's heart is softening. She actually came to church with the girls all by herself this Sunday. Anywho, Sister Ferrin was feeling uber yucky, so the elders came over in the evening and gave her a blessing.

District Meeting was definitely a meeting. We ended up spending two hours discussing branch council and how to help our ward. Good times. I made some yummy stuffed peppers for lunch. The Brothers three (investigators) skipped out on their meeting so we went to find them. Their mother was not very happy to see us, but their neighbor was! He was very friendly and we were able to talk to him a bit about The Book of Mormon and invite him to church. Santa Dike is being such a great member! She told us that the other day on her mail route she talked to some drunks for a half hour and taught them about the Word of Wisdom and told them to quit. We went and had a great lesson with the Beldavi family (members). Dace, the mom really opened up and I am going to help her with music in primary.

On Wednesday we got to go to the thyroid doctor. That was an adventure, he is a really nice jolly older man. I like him. The health care may not be as sanitary and effective as in America, but it sure was fast. Sister Ferrin was able to get blood tests and an ultrasound on her thyroids the same day (no worries, her thyroids don't have cancer or anything bad...they are good). We took Zelma Golta (member) on a church tour and she was really touched and feels bad that she can't serve more. I tried to make wheat bread. It was a flop. I'm pretty sure it is because I killed the yeast....warm water not hot! I just got distracted because I was multi task cooking so I had to make a white loaf for Sister Ferrin to celebrate her year mark in the field! We had a good meeting with Oskars (member). He is going to get his Patriarchal (spelling?) blessing! This is a huge deal because like only 2 from Liepaja get theirsevery year.

Thursday was weekly planning and ice pack hunting. We found out what an ice pack is called and that they cost twelve US dollars. I settled for the bag of peas, which has been helping with my chronic compartment syndrome. Made some Italian barley casserole (it was, well, interesting.) We had a good time with all our investigators at the Thursday night activity playing musical chairs and charades. Little 8-year-old investigator Krists said "beautiful princess" when Sister Ferrin was acting out something very unrelated to being a beautiful princess. Rita did a great job bearing her testimony and talking about prayer. It fit in perfectly with the lesson with Santa S. that Sandijs had helped us with. We found out though this week that Santa's mom won't allow her to get baptized (she is fifteen). We also met with the brothers 3 who were being hooligans. We weren't too happy about their goofing off. Thursday night Sister Ferrin and I had a bang cutting party. I am not regretting this. Growing out bangs + glasses = doesn't work.

Friday we got to visit cute ole Ausma. She is knitting us socks. I got to take down wallpaper at Rihard's. I found a nail and have an infected pinkie, and we had a lot of fun. Sister Ferrin ran into the door she just painted red. I laughed a lot about that one. We met with the Hooligani again. They were much better when we met with them on Friday with Sister S. Krists once again was adorable. He said both prayers (he wanted lots of cookies) and it was so cute- him saying thanks for the nice people and the nice church and knowing that the BOM was true. It made my day because our night sucked! Something awful happened to Rita, so long story short she stayed with us Friday night after Rihards gave her a blessing.

Saturday she stayed with us most of the day. Our english class brought us flowers since it is a tradition for the first of September when the kids here start school to dress up and take flowers.

Sunday President Boswell came. Sister F. and I got to translate an interview with him and Rita. He is awesome. We got to have interviews as well. President Boswell rocks. He is a good man and has a lot of trust in me. He also told me to start winking at God, I'll have to tell you about that one later. Sunday night after napping and dinner we went with Rihards and set up a bunch of appointments with people we have been trying to get into forever! He is a great member missionary
woot!

Time is pretty much up. Keep Rita in your prayers, she needs it.

1 comment: