Monday, September 19, 2011

Week 31

Well, the past week has been wild. I am now with Sister Wilson and I am still in Liepaja. She has been in Riga the past ten months, so naturally she wasn't very happy to be coming down. Sister Wilson is from Utah, getting a health degree at USU, and gives me a run for the money in the kitchen. She also loves running, so pretty much she is just going to kick me into shape. She is also an amazing missionary. I am excited to be having the opportunity to work miracles with her.

On Monday we super-cleaned since transfers are on Thursday. We went to Hesburger and got food with the elders and ate it at the church and we then played Sister Ferrin's crazy version of bananagrams. I got a falafel burger, which wasn't too bad. Bananagrams was by far the highlight of my Monday. Elder Schmidt would just make up random words and scream them out. This annoyed Sister Ferrin greatly, so it was just all really funny to watch. We met with inactive (who will be staying inactive but comes to activities if you invite her) possibly crazy Elvira. We thought watching the Restoration film would keep her from telling us horror stories of her life. She still did. :) Yay for the atonement that can fix those things! We also got to meet with investigator Santa and taught her about chastity and all that fun stuff. I really don't think it is that awkward teaching the law of chastity, other than the fact that I can't say "chastity" in latvian. It has a double dipthong at the beginning that just gets me every time.

On Tuesday Sister Ferrin requested some infamous almond pear cake (thank you New York Times). We all found it quite divine and enjoyed eating it while Elder Holdway taught us of the importance of commitments as missionaries. Commitments is one thing that I am focusing on this new transfer. While I was cooking I saw a mouse! Yes, a mouse in the house. Somehow Sister Ferrin slept through the whole ordeal. It involved me on the couch with the phone talking to the elders about how to catch mice, and a broom. Yes, I screamed when the mouse popped out of the bag and then went and hid in the corner. It was one of those adventures that you wouldn't have been a baby about if you would have had someone else there. The elders thought it was hilarious and wished the mouse was in their house. They told me to build a wall, trap it in the corner, and then get it to run into the garbage can and then turn it upside down. I didn't know what to make the wall with so the stinking mouse ran off when I was chasing him into a hole by the electrical outlet. I spent the rest of my afternoon taping up all the holes in the wall that the mouse could go through. So far he hasn't been back. It took a lot out of me, I am still tired from the mouse in the house ordeal.

We got a new investigator on Tuesday. Her name is Zenta. Sister Ferrin and Santa S. (who is now on a mini mission) knocked on her door one day and we finally got to go teach her. She takes care of her grandson who has some crazy disease that only 5 people have in Latvia and is very humble but positive because of it. We had a good lesson with Oskars for his retention. We read in Alma 43 about how Moroni prepared his army and how we need to be spiritually prepared so we will be safe and come off conquerors. We met with Skaidre (a member who would be more active if she had less work) and watched the Restoration film with her (no we aren't lazy, we've been asked to go over the Restoration with them and they have a new translation in Latvian that none of the members have seen and that film brings such a sweet spirit). Skaidre was very touched.


Wednesday I made zuchinni muffins because we are going to Riga! Elder Holdaway is serving in Imanta (after being in Liepaja for 8 months straight) and Sister Ferrin in Riga Center with Sister Sutterfield and Sister Madara Zommerofska (mini-missionary). All three of them are actually finishing their missions on December 15th so in 2 transfers. Cute old Ausma wanted us to go to the doctors with her because she was getting an operation. She didn't show up at the doctor's and didn't tell us that they changed their minds, lol. No worries! We still had super fun remonting (aka remodeling) at Rihard's. Elder Schmidt pulled off wall paper with me. My most favorite thing of Wednesday was visiting the Svari family. The father is inactive and the wife not a member. They have an angel of a four year old, Tomass. He is practically perfect in politeness. He showed us the door, bowed, and then kissed Sister Ferrin's hand. It was the greatest thing I've seen in my life. We were all laughing. They have a lot of potential as a family! We stopped by Santa D.'s (the member). It was her name day. We are so glad we went. None of her friends came to visit her so we had a candle light tea and cake event to celebrate, brought her flowers, and shared a small spiritual thought.

Thursday morning we all headed to Riga. Sandijs and Rita came to say goodbye. Sandijs was crying and Rita told him to stop being a baby. She also called him a snail because she called him about 20 times so that he'd wake up in time. We barely made it to the tram with the luggage. Ugh. Girls have a LOT of stuff on a mission. I don't want to leave Liepaja. It was my half way mark on Thursday so I was thinking of being half way done and how awful it will be to say goodbye to little Liepaja; my heart and soul are here. We met a plethora of missionaries at the train station and then Sister Wilson and I headed back down and that took most of our day. We also taught Santa D. ....Riksi puked on the couch (he ate a bunch of cookies). Nothing says welcome to Liepaja like dog barf! We also had a little meeting with Sandijs and Rita. Sandijs bore a powerful testimony of his conversion story.

Friday we got to go contacting! So fun! Sister Wilson is really good with people and contacting effectively. We are also effective in the kitchen...apple raspberry bran pear muffins with a streusel topping...mmm. We are planning on not making sweets often because we both have a sweet tooth and know how to cook some good food. We had planning. I think I overwhelmed Sister Wilson. There is a mini-apostasy going on in our Branch and so there is a lot of information and it is really stressful as a member because you see good people getting beaten by Satan. We are doing everything in our power to keep the branch afloat though. This included visiting Marika and having Latvian class and then a spiritual thought about supporting our church leaders. Sister Wilson bore a great testimony that brought the spirit, she came at the perfect time. Liepaja needs her!

On Saturday we had a great English class turn out, even more people and one class member even took a Book of Mormon. They all took contact cards and hopefully we will be able to help them come unto Christ. We cleaned the church, went on an adventure to see where the elders were trying to move us (they are determined to steal our apartment because it is practically perfect in every way like Mary Poppins). We visited Lidija R. Sister Wilson saved the day again with her powerful testimony and this upcoming week President S. is coming with us to visit her.

Sunday's church meeting was excellent. The talks were all good and the second and third hour were superb. We learned about honesty and then the gathering of Israel. I stayed in RS as the RS President and Sister Wilson went to go be the Primary piano player/music leader. She plays and sings much better than I do so I am off the hook for now. We made some hearty tomato and rice soup for lunch, did some calling, and went off on a goose chase to find missing members. We didn't find any but we had a lovely night.

The church is true. The Lord answers prayers in His due time. This is His work and we should all be going about our Father's business.

No comments:

Post a Comment