Monday, January 9, 2012

Week 47

To start out the New Year right we went tanning, yes tanning (don't worry...only 7 minutes for health). I don't think I've seen Sister Wilson happier, neither did the super nice lady who owns the salon. It was extremely nice to get some UV rays. We are planning on going again. The highlight of Monday was definitely eating with Santa's son, Kristaps, at Pastnieka Maja. He is a hoot and a half (as is his mother). Elder Alder (former hooligan) did a great job keeping the conversation going and then turning it spiritual. Kristaps is planning on taking home one of his mother's many copies of The Book of Mormon. He has seen how much it has changed his mother and wants to know what it is all about. In other news I found a purple and white hoolie scarf for only a lat.

Tuesday we started a mission-wide fast. We are pushing to have 120 baptisms this year. We had many many meetings with the elders. The highlight was definitely waiting for our last meeting. Little Ieva (Branch President's daughter) did my hair and let me look at her Barbie magazine. We all know how much I love Barbie!!

Wednesday to break our fast we made delicious waffles. I haven't had waffles since the Provo Temple. We took Sintija Frolava to help us with a lesson, but he didn't want to meet. It was really windy so we decided to go to the beach to try sleeping in the wind. Sister Wilson got the brilliant idea of opening up her coat. She was promptly lying in the sand. We all got belly aches from laughing. I went to the doctor's office (it was only 1 lat this time [verses the private practice 25 lats]) and got an antibiotic for my cough. It seems to be working. :)

On Thursday I lost Sister Wilson in the morning. It was quite the event. The elders helped me look for her, bless their hearts. We taught Valda [we meet with her six times a week, forgive me that I don't mention it every time] about tithing and she didn't get how much 10% is. Oh boy. We even had a visual, and only ten pieces! Zelma made our day by feeding us yummy pork and potatoes. Raivo and Lauris Beldavs stole my heart as always with their cute prayers and singing, "I am a Child of God." We met with Guna and taught her Lehi's Dream and are starting daily contact in hopes that she will get more interested.

On Friday after teaching Rita (an investigator) some English we had a really good lesson with prayer. She thinks prayer is communication with God and now knows how to pray correctly! We had root beer floats and talked about the changes that we are making to teaching English...one hour, twice a week, with breaks for finding people. While doing so Janis came to the church. He read all about us on the internet and wants to be baptized! He is more golden than the sun, it is insane! We taught Valda with flashlights today...she doesn't have lights. :)

Saturday was a warm day. What am I saying?! Pretty much every day has been warm. I don't mind at all- no snow! We missionaries all had fun playing with Kaspars' (ward mission leader) son after our meeting, teaching English, and having a very spirit filled lesson with Janis about the Restoration. I seriously don't know where this man (maybe around 27??) came from. He already watched the Restoration film online, he came to church in a white shirt and a tie. "How did you know?" "I read about it on the internet and it seemed like the right thing to do."

Sunday was just full of miracles. Miracle 1. Feeding the 5,000. We were going to break the fast with the elders and Rihards but Rihards had a family emergency come up. Sandijs, Sintija, Eriks, Madara, and the Scherbinini (4) joined in the feast and somehow we fed everyone with one small chicken. While cooking up this feast miracle number 2 happened. Miracle 2. The trolls are back! Ieva and Olga texted, asking if we could meet. Madara helped out and we talked to these former teenaged investigators. They have really missed the spirit that they felt at church and want to come back. Olga accepted to prepare for baptism on her birthday, February 25, and Ieva is still thinking about it. I definitely didn't think I would see those two back and humble on their knees praying to God and thanking Him for the Spirit they have felt at church. Miracle 3. Skaidra opened up...she wasn't wanting to (she was falling asleep...it was 7pm) but Sis. W. really needed to use the bathroom. Wish granted. Miracle 4. We contacted a member referral who wants to meet with us and change her life! How great is that. Miracle 5. Ruta Grodska, the new RS president, is so great. I was so proud of her, she is going to do an excellent job.

All is well in Liepaja. Soon Sister Wilson and I will be training. I'm excited, she's terrified. We have no idea which one of us will be heading up to Riga to train, but whoever is down here will have 3 (or possibly more) baptisms in January. The Lord loves and blesses us when we are obedient.

Love,
Sis. L.

No comments:

Post a Comment