Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 49

The snow is back, the tank is clean (it was super clean today. The house is now SUPER clean.), and I still don't know where or whom I am training. Internet Janis is also gone; we can't get a hold of him.

MONDAY I was feeling awfully artsy- I made a whole bunch of cards and postcards and such. We ate at a place called the Barons Bumbiers (The Baron's Pears). I didn't see any dishes with pears, but I did have a good soup bowl as well as some amazing potatoes. My new favorite way to have potatoes since being in Latvia? Boiled. And then fried. Unhealthy, but soooo good. We taught the Frolavi about using our time well from the General Conference talk...they both are computer addicts. We now have some alternative ideas and some bribes set up.

The bus and tram fare went up this year, in case anyone was wondering. It know costs .50 lats to ride public transport. That is as much as 4 kilos (9 lbs.) of potatoes cost here!

TUESDAY morning I had a lovely time sprinting on the beach. After District Meeting we went through fire safety with Branch President/curator Antons. It was so much more entertaining this time- probably because I understood everything. Member Zina helped us to teach Kristina and Janis. She did a great job. Pretty much one of us needs to be entertaining Eliza at any given time. We taught them the Plan of Salvation and then we taught the trolls tithing. It snowed again so we had a snowball fight with them. We also went for a ride around the parking lot in their sled...so! much! fun!

WEDNESDAY. Sister Wilson has fleas. This makes her very unhappy. Watch out! We went to stack wood with Rihards and the elders. We got a call while we were there...I'm an illegal alien and the government is after me!!! My visa expired yesterday and I don't have my appointment for my new one until February...oopsie! So Valda is in love with Oskars, just if y'all were wondering. She asked us to tell him. We said no. She proceeded to say the closing prayer and asked God to tell Oskars what she didn't have the courage to. Oh boy. Should be fun.
So I've been taking a steroid inhalor for my "asthma" [I so don't have asthma] and it has a tendency to tickle my throat sometimes because of the steroid. Often this occurs during lessons where I don't have water and proceed to start coughing. This occurred while teaching recent convert Dzintra about the atonement. Trying to not cough also makes me cry. Everyone now things I have a great testimony of the Atonement, when really my eyes were wet because of my cough. We dropped by Elina Tolmacova's and talked to her a bit and did a head-bob with her cute little one Eliza who is the same age as baby Ezra. She came to church on Sunday for all three hours!! Anywho, we made some delicious frikadella soup and then went with Oskars to talk to the Trolls about having a quit-smoking plan. They were ready for us...they had piles of snowballs.

THURSDAY we were able to meet with Vineta (less active). We hope to work with her more so that she can come to church again. She doesn't have support from her hubby or monster-in-law. So we made dad's pizza recipe...with cheese in the crust. Fattening, but we do not regret this. It was SO delicious and quite possible the best homemade pizza I've had. Janis prayed about baptism and wants to be baptized again! Kristina is so excited to be a believing person and she loved the idea of FHE. I am glad we have FHE, even if sometimes it is WWF [not world wildlife federation] sibling-down. The snow is gone now because it is raining. We weathered the weather (HA.) and went to Liga's for a suprise visit. She told Sister Wilson she should sing opera. Sister Wilson didn't like this. Sister Wilson also didn't like the black tea she got served. Oopsie! And that is why Sister Lindstrom keeps tea in her bag for times like those. Liga loves church though, recognizes the good feelings there and when we are with her. She just needs to get taught more (we only met with her 6 times before baptism). We decided to take a bus home...duhn duhn duhn. You can't use tickets bought last year if you were wondering. The bus driver said we could and the controllers disagreed, would not let us buy new ones, and fined us. Sister Wilson was very displeased. She doesn't like the bus controllers.

FRIDAY we were supposed to have a Skype mission conference, but we couldn't hear anything (boo) so we went back home and studied. Taught Kristina and Janis as well as the trolls. We made them teach us the plan of salvation. It went really well. The highlight of Friday for me was playing a chutes and ladders-esque game with Sarra (3) and Ieva (6). Three year olds cheat! Just if you were wondering. I lost.

SATURDAY After we had a great meeting with our branch mission leader, we coaxed him to help us with Valda's lesson. It was super great. Sis. W. ALWAYS yawns in lessons. Today Valda commented, "Why are you yawning? Is it because you have a boyfriend? Which one of those boys..." I had to try really hard to contain myself. I guess she still doesn't get the law of chastity. The trolls wanted to meet and told us that they tried Oskars idea and didn't smoke! Exciting and good if plausible.

We celebrated Santa Dike's "25th birthday." Mostly she didn't tell us it was her birthday on January 4th, so we told her we were celebrating it again, with tea and cake and all sorts of yummy goodness. We also read about her future husband Ammon cutting off the arms. We then went to the Beldavi home and taught everyone about prayer. Well, everyone but Raivo. Cutie was sleeping. We got fed even more food (AHH!) at Ruta Jekste's. I think she had 4 or 5 sandwiches for us each. It was super interesting talking with her. We got on to the topic of faith during the occupation. "Everyone who said they couldn't go is lying. You could. My mom went every week. The Russian's didn't disallow it, they just tried to brainwash the worshipping of their communist leaders." It really is so interesting talking with people about the communist times.

SUNDAY. We sang (by we I mean myself, Wilson, Madara, and Rubija) sang a beautiful children's song -possibly I know my Savior Lives in English. Santa is a dork. She is so hilarious. Today she was joking about needing to go to the bathroom and peeing her pants and that you can't have a wet seat for Oskars' lesson (Oskars is the Gospel Principles teacher). She was also referring to herself in third person whenever Oskars would call her Masa Santa. "Masa Santa isn't ready." "Masa Santa agrees with Masa Lindstroma who agreed with Elders Alders talk today in Sacrament."
We passed off Nadezda (from English class) to the elders. She is so great. She gave Elder Alder and I a hug because she had such a fun party last night. And why are we here on earth? "To love." Myself and the Elders were trying not to crack up because Sister Wilson's answers to everything is love love love love love.
Only investigator to church was Valda. The trolls were "sick" and Janis was scared. We talked to him about church - the why and the what.

More snow! I'm so excited for training! Should be a blast and a good time to slow down and teach someone how to do it right- with the Lord!

Xoxo sis l



No comments:

Post a Comment