Monday, April 16, 2012

Week 61

Mari April 16, 2012

MONDAY we took Santa to Pastnieka Maja. She had lots of good stories about everything, especially this amazing 6 dollar dessert she ordered. It was what put them in business and got them popular. It was a pastry with berries, custard, and ice cream. I definitely am considering getting one. Sadly I was all grumpified and stressed from trying to figure out school.

TUESDAY Sister Clark was in charge of District Meeting! She had a great analogy comparing it to physics. In a physics class you have a syllabus (set up expectations...lots of homework!), you love teachers that are passionate (and knowledgeable, etc.). As a teacher you also don't teach overly complicated things and repetition is also key! You hand out books at the beginning of class (Book of Mormon) and of course there is homework!

We had a memorable afternoon adventure. We really wanted to have a member present for a lesson we set up with Janis and Kristine (via sticky note). We couldn't get a hold of anyone to come with but then I saw Santa out of our third story window! I yelled at Sister Clark to get out of the bathroom and we booked it down the stairs and ran after Santa. She agreed to come with so we went back up, put on our coats and headed out with Santa. Overhead birds were flying and one pooped on Sister Clark. This is the second time in the span of a week. I thought it was pretty funny. Janis and Kristine weren't home. We met the nicest lady, Valentina harvesting. She let us right in and talked our ears off. She is Polish but was baptized Russian Orthodox (she says she has no idea how, lol). We gave her our information and hope that she passes it on to her children.

WEDNESDAY we had pancakes with good old Zelma. She reminds me so much of Grandma K. The most saintliest lady you will ever meet, but never thinks she is good enough. As President Uchtdorf said, "Humility is thinking less about yourself, not less of yourself." We taught Kristine (Janis isn't really that interested...boo) and it was a spirit filled lesson in which we found out that she doesn't know if TS Monson is a prophet. Good thing that I do! We told her she could watch Conference and pray about it. "You can always bank on the prophet." (The District 2 quote for anyone who has watched it recently). We also met a hilarious lady who spoke to us in Latvian, Russian, and also German. We aren't sure why she started speaking in German at the end, but she sure was a hoot. "I don't want to talk about you Mormons, I need to go (and then she proceeded to talk to us for 10 minutes). "Ich mooder Constantine."

THURSDAY I had a good contacting morning. We've been going out a lot in the morning and hop on and off the tram and talk to people going to work and school. Santa forgot that we had our weekly retention lesson so we went harvesting by her house and someone let us in! Inta was a sweet older lady with her magnifying glass to read. The Spirit was most definitely there but the stinker wouldn't agree to meet again or come to church. Curse that agency! It is actually a great thing, but only when used correctly. We had FHE with Sintija and Eriks. Sintija filled us in on all the school drama. She is also working on being a member missionary. Her latest plan is to buy school friends Hesburger so that they will like her more so that she can in turn invite them to church. Whatever works, right?

FRIDAY morning I had a terrible tram contact. It was really blunt and awkward but the young mom said yes we could come and we set up a time. Wahoo! We had a really powerful lesson with Santa. She learned that she has indeed received revelation before (she thought that she hadn't) and is intended to use her new knowledge (see "Revelation" in True to The Faith). The Young Women's broadcast was amazing. "Put your shiney on!" I don't know why I think that is so funny, but I am still giggling about it. We had a fireside broadcast from Riga to here in Liepaja. It finally started working in time to hear the last talk, Elder Senkans. He told the story of his conversion. The missionaries forgot to follow up after giving him a copy of The Book. He waited a couple of months for them and finally went and found the church. "What are you doing, giving people this book if you aren't going to ask them to be baptized?!" They asked him, he said yes, and he translated the BOM into Latvian, is a 70, and has done all sorts of other good stuff. Remember to follow up!

SATURDAY we watched General Conference in Latvian. We spent most of the time opening and closing the door for Eliza, getting her drinks and more sugar (she doesn't need it...her teeth are rotting and she is only two!). I also received a package from my bestie with moustaches. The primary kids got a hold of those and it was pretty fantastic. The Elders Quorum was in charge of making lunch....10 liters of pasta and maybe 20 people. We didn't even make a dent in it. People ate it with ketchup, yum!

SUNDAY was also pretty chill, more conference. The Relief Society made half a million open sandwiches. The highlight was definitely finding a family! They were on a potential investigator list. Mara and Kristops have two cute girls and are quite rich. It is Kristops hobby. They are a very loving family and pretty open. They both have a lot of questions. Thankfully the Spirit hinted to take a new copy of the BOM (I have a beat up one I walk around with) as well as the Restoration DVD. Both were used and hopefully next weekend we will be going back. It is amazing how happy a normal/good day can feel after a bunch of bad ones. As Santa prayed on Friday "Thank you for this awful day." The bad ones make the good ones really good. I have a testimony of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment