Sunday, September 16, 2012
How "The Help" Helped Me
This summer I watched a film entitled, “The Help.”
The film is based off of a movie written by Kathyrn Stockett that describes the 1960s Civil Rights movement through the eyes of an aspiring author and the African-American maids that she interviews. The racism “the help” is faced with is shown as they work with white families to raise their children.
It was a touching movie to see the relationships and struggles that went on. The message of racial equality is displayed. But what touched me most was what one maid, Aibileen would tell the charming young girl she raised. Every morning she would give her a hug and tell her, “You is kind, you is smart, you is important.” I love this message. It has been a month or two and I still haven’t been able to get it out of my head. It is what I doodle when I’m bored in class, it is what I say when I’m sad. It is what Aibileen, and every other African American wished to hear at that time. It is what I wish to hear every time I wake up. Aibileen didn’t tell her that she was beautiful or some other superficial unimportant quality. She told her:
You is kind. Kindness is a quality that has gone missing in our society. Where are the days of chivalry and politeness? Even in the church we are constantly having to be reminded, “Don’t judge. Be kind. Love one another.” It is a quality that is oh so precious, but is found lacking. If we are kind it means a lot.
You is smart. In a day where African Americans were thought to be from a sub-race of filthy animals, and when women were not a man’s equal the message “you is smart” resonates strong. Today so many derogatory words float around in our vocabulary- stupid, dumb, retard, dense, slow, brainless, dim-witted. When a child, or anyone for that matter, feels smart they are able to achieve more.
You is important. Everyone wants to feel important and needed. Do you feel important? How do you act when you feel important? How do you act when you feel unimportant? It makes a difference, doesn’t it.
When I have children I want to make this a daily ritual. Proper English grammar or no, it is imperative to tell those we love that they are kind, smart, and important. These are things that we all need to hear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment