Sunday, May 12, 2013

We all make mistakes. I just hope yours isn't your front tooth.

The curious case of getting a crown for a tooth. Worst mistake of my life. Since I killed my tooth (too many soccer balls to the mouth) in 8th grade my lovely front tooth has been more yellow than my other teeth. Me, being the vain person I am, have tried internal and external bleaching to no avail. My wise dental friend said a crown would look so much better. I believed her and felt it was wise to take advantage of my parents’ insurance and get my front tooth crowned. I made my appointment. The doctor neglected to tell me some things like…your face will be numb for 5 hours, I’m going to shave off basically all of your front tooth, this is not reversible, you can’t floss, you can’t bite with your front teeth, or even wear your retainer. Umm…so if I can’t wear my retainer for a month my 3 years of braces and thousands of dollars just goes down the drain..right? No big deal. Nevermind the imminent threat that temporary crowns have a tendency to pop off at inconvenient moments, like in public. Oh. Fast forward nineteen hours from leaving the dentist office and I’m eating a sandwich. By eat I mean I am on my third bite and POP! Was that my tooth? Why yes it was. Is the dentist busy for the next several hours. Oh. So I’m supposed to go around with my fake tooth hanging out at work. Oh okay, no worries. The dentist fixes my tooth (it feels much more secure might I add) and he tells me to just eat oatmeal for a month. Out of a straw. New weight loss program?? I think so. Now I shouldn’t neglect mother. Mother thought it was very funny because it was the end of the world. I had made a terrible mistake, I want my old tooth back and it is in the dentist rubbish bin. Never mind the fact that I mourned my lost tooth with tears, my mother laughed. And laughed. Even at night prayer when I wasn’t doing anything she burst into a fit of laughter that lasted longer than the prayer. Let’s not forget Hal. He is the tooth color matching guy. My teeth are apparently off the charts white. And transclucent. He said he’ll have a hard time matching it and doesn’t think he’ll get it right on the first time. Hal has been doing this for 35 years and the PRINCE of Saudi Arabia has used him. The Netherlands have used him. And he doesn't think he’s going to get my tooth right. Has my regret increased? Yes. Do I think it will look better than my old tooth? No. Biggest mistake ever. To look on the positive side I do appreciate front teeth. Always chewing with the side and avoiding certain foods and not flossing sucks. Things I never thought I’d be grateful to do. We all make mistakes. I just hope yours isn't your front tooth.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. I', afraid I may be laughing with your mother, who will sober up quickly, I'm sure because WHO will marry you now?

    ReplyDelete