Monday, July 8, 2013

The Last Toast to Us.

The Last Toast to Us. We fit, like a pair of old running shoes or that favorite pair of jeans. Two peas in a pod. Peanut butter and jelly. Right shoe, left shoe. You get the idea. Together a complete whole, more exciting and meant to be together and just not quite complete nor functional when apart. I should have seen it sooner. Put one and one together. It crept up on me I guess. I didn’t realize until my best friend was getting married that I had already lost her. Just think of it as being let go, that life's going in a different direction, that my body's part of a permanent outplacement. I’ve been demoted, let go, fired, she’s moved on; she has a new best friend. Don’t get me wrong, he’s great and I’m so happy for her, I just forgot about the part that she would move on and I wouldn’t be moving with her. If I had one person to be with on a deserted island, it’d be her. I like to think that back in the day she’d pick me, but now she’d pick prints charming. We used to not be able to live without each other, used to make ourselves laugh until we peed our pants, and went on the most awesome adventures. Sisters, connected at the hip, inseparable. You invite one to a party and know it means you are inviting the other. But my best friend is upgrading to a different kind of lifelong best friend. She won’t need me anymore, she’ll have her Prints Charming to make her laugh when she is sad, make her soup when she is sick, go running with her, take her on adventures, and take care of her. I’ll fade into the background like those faded old photographs that frame my walls of the good old days. A distant memory past. We’ll still be friends, catch up when it is expected, reminisce about the old days and those good times we once had. But there won’t be any more old days to talk about from now on because she’s already gone. So let’s toast to us. We had some good times and some great dreams but it’s time to grow up and move on with life because life always does move on, even if we aren’t ready for it. So a toast to us. Peanut butter and jelly. Sisters. Friends. Adieu. Anyone seen a left shoe? I lost mine. “Someone Like You” by Adele has been my favorite song of late. Switch the lyrics up a bit and it isn’t bad about talking about our friendship. I know that you're settling down That you found a boy and you're married now. I heard that your dreams came true. You know how the time flies Only yesterday was the time of our lives We were born and raised In a summer haze Bound by the surprise of our glory days Nothing compares No worries or cares Regrets and mistakes They are memories made. Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste? Old friend, why are you so shy? Ain't like you to hold back I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it. I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded That for me our friendship isn't over. Never mind, I'll find someone like you I wish nothing but the best for you too Don't forget me, I beg. Never mind, I'll find someone like you I wish nothing but the best for you.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I hate this. So sorry about life, that it changes and gets hard.

    Dang, dang, dang!

    Does it help to know that you did a great job of capturing the emotions with your words?

    You'll get in a new groove together. She'll find out that her husband can't be her girlfriend, and she'll need you more than ever.

    You'll always come back to each other. Wait for it. He's really not competition at all, he's like a different channel, only one that she's gonna be obsessed with for a while.

    ReplyDelete