Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 162: Abe McKay!

Changing my computer...I thought it was cool.
Elder Abe McKay and I
Messy Elder Bourgeois


9 fevrier 2010 (Day 162)
Today I woke up, did my morning routine (yay for being back to my morning routine) and went for a nice relaxing 30 minute run before breakfast. It wasn’t too chilly outside and I took a nice slow pace (though I’m sure my calves will let me hear about it later anyway). I scared the cleaning lady half to death when I asked her if I could use the microwave to warm up my oatmeal this morning. I guess she was lost in her thoughts or too busy listening to the radio to notice that I had come in the kitchen and was asking if it was okay for me to use the microwave.
I had great plans to finish my to do list today. I did get some of it done. Then I got distracted. It was definitely a good distraction though. I was updating anti-virus stuff on my computer and ended up discovering a cool dashboard tool for Vista and changing the whole entire layout of my computer and I discovered google chrome, and the new version of firefox, which you can customize. Regardless, I probably spent too much time playing, but I have never been more excited about how cool and slick my computer looks now.
I took a nap because I wasn’t feeling very motivated to continue on with my to do list. I originally set my alarm for 20 minutes and then I turned it off, only to wake up much later then intended. I changed quickly and ran out the door so that I could get a ticket for a play on Saturday and then go learn how to make burrito shells.
My timing was perfect because the elders had started to make the burritos late. I learned from the masters and am now a flour-y, but professional burrito shell maker. Elder Abe McKay from dear old Davis High was there with his companion so we caught up while we made around 100 burrito shells. It was so great to Abe. He is doing great and speaks French perfectly (Quinton liked to tell me this and was asking why he speaks like a French person and I don’t). Elder Bourgeois said Elder Smiley was asking how I was doing. I hesitated, because I still have my cold and Elder B. was just like say yes. He really wants you to have a testimony of the priesthood. So I told him that I was much better than Wednesday and Thursday (which is true). This answer sufficed. Personally, I think I have more of a testimony of God’s sense of humor. The members really slacked on bringing burrito supplies this month, so the missionaries had to go out and buy a lot of stuff, so we started late. The turnout was so-so but we had a nice time. Cheryl and Isabel were being super crazy tonight though. Cheryl also got mad at me for speaking to her in French. It is kind of frustrating, really frustrating, that they pretty much refuse to speak French unless necessary. The language is why I am here! Someone brought crepes and so after stuffing ourselves with burritos it was on to the crepes. I made it through two burritos and one crepe then went to do the dishes. Help surprisingly arrived and we got the missionaries sent off (they had a car…luck) at a decent hour. Those of us taking the tram (Cheryl and Kev) were not so lucky. We had to wait in the freezing cold for 20 minutes for the tram. During the ride we talked about missions/missionary rules because Cheryl doesn’t think that the current missionaries in Nantes follow all the rules. It was an interesting conversation. I had to wait around by myself at commerce for around 10 minutes. There was some creepster hitting on this girl, so I moved as far away as possible. On the tram that same girl ended up sitting by me and creepy man ended up following. I had already had a bad feeling about how this tram ride was going to be (but I wasn’t going to wait 26 minutes for the next tram) and it was indeed interesting. The girl was talking on her phone and the guy was saying all these crazy things like you need protection, I will protect you, I know you, you are afraid but I won’t hurt you and he followed her off and was like, “Look at that beautiful body!” “Ciao bella!” Yeah. Weird. The lady sitting across from me agreed, as did some other passengers who talked about it once they left.