Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 166: Much Ado About Percy Jackson


Percy Jackson, the stud who I wish was my boyfriend (he reminds me of Zac Efron, but with better eyes)
13 fevrier 2010 (Day 166)
Today was a crazy busy Saturday. I stayed up sort of late and so I ended up sleeping until around 8:30-9am. I ended up getting distracted online by Kyle and making a love chart of all my guy friends (I am terrible with names) and the girl(s) they like. After I realized how much time had floated away I quickly got ready for the day so that I could go see my vendor friend and how he was liking the book. I did my normal Saturday in town ritual: go to the used bookstore to see if they have Harry Potter 5-7, pick out two macarons from the chocolate store, buy a kilo of apples from the vendors there that just sell apples, and then find my vendor friend and get whatever else I want (lately it has been clementines). I bought two amazing macarons- chocolate and grapefruit. I was worried that the grapefruit one would be awful, but it was incredible. The chocolate macaron only got 3 stars in my book. I couldn’t find Haikkel so I tried calling him, but it went straight to his messaging. I hurried home to make some pasta with broccoli, carrots, and cheese before going back into town to meet Kev to go to the movies. But before I ate I gave the older man who is normally at the help desk on weekends some of my cookies. His surprised face totally made my day. I made it just in time to catch the bus we took to where his car was parked (it was perfect timing…lucky because I was late!). Kev was nice and opened all the doors for me (which was awkward at the same time. It is not at all in the French culture for boys to be chivalrous and I haven’t been around guys like that for a really really really long time, so it was almost awkward for me. And the fact that I wasn’t sure if it was hanging out or a date (because there weren’t other people). We drove to the IKEA because the movie theatre we went to is by there. Kev has this stellar pass where you pay 30 euros and you get unlimited movies for two people for a month. It isn’t a bad deal at all if you go to the movies all the time (there is a single person one for 20). We decided to see Percy Jackson, The Lightning thief dubbed in French. It was great! I haven’t read the books (I’ve heard that the books are better…naturally), and I didn’t see the original version, but I really enjoyed it in French. It didn’t even bother me that the lips and the words they were saying didn’t match up and I understood pretty much every single thing said. It was also an entertaining film to watch with a fun storyline. I recommend it.
Kev and I got a little lost on the way home, but it was alright because we talked. Kev likes talking a lot about how the young single adults of the church are a very fragile group (him being one of them). Actually, he just likes talking about the church a lot, but not necessarily in the happy spiritual way. I’m not interested in being anything other than Kevin’s friend and I hope that feeling is mutual. I’m fine having a movie buddy (we laughed at the same parts while no one else was laughing) but I don’t want a holding-hands & kissing during the movie buddy.
In between watching Percy Jackson and going to see Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing (Beaucoup de bruit pour rien) in French I made the mistake of cutting my hair. You’d think I’d have learned after the last billion times I’ve cut it, but no. it started with this annoying yellow patch in the front of my hair (from the fantastical fun of trying to bleach out the dark dark brown from last winter) and led to cutting out most of these patches which was a mistake that has left me with lots of bangs and really weird layers. I can still put it in piggy tails and I am really not going to touch it again, I’m going to save that for my wonderful professional hairstylist, Rita. Hopefully I can hide the scissors from myself until July.
I ended up literally running to Much Ado About Nothing because I lost track of time during the hair catastrophe (on the bright side I don’t really have any more of the awkward yellow color left in my hair). It took me a while to find the Autour de Monde people (Around the World, a buddy program at the university) with my ticket, but I found them and took a seat. The play was not what I expected. There were only about fourteen people in the cast total and it had a modern twist. By modern twist I mean no scenery, no old fashioned costumes, cross dressing, air humping, and a boy running around in his boxers (and French boxers are shorter than American ones…eek!). The play was okay. I luckily looked up the story before I left because I didn’t understand anything they said (and I was feeling so good after the movie where I understood everything). I was still entertained and it was worth the experience to see it in France. I think I am understanding more of Shakespeare and his universal themes now that I am older (for instance, the title of the play…I get it now). I got home really late from the play so I just hit the sack afterwards.