Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 31: Beer Smells Bad

1 octobre 2009 (Day 31)
Today was a nice day. I did my laundry and only had one class. The main highlight of the night was the “Autour de Monde” welcome party. It was a lot bigger than I was expecting. Inside the building was full, so they had people outside everywhere in a mosh-pit (minus the mosh part) form. They had a DJ who was playing American oldies. It is really hard to dance to some of that stuff, but I was glad it wasn’t blow-out-your-eyeballs rap or something that disgusting. I hung out with Sam, his friend Harold, and Emily from North Carolina for a lot of the night. I got a French buddy at this party. Her name is Mischa. She is kind of a punk, but she is nice and lives in my hallway actually. I also met my terribly attractive hallway neighbor named Bapteme at the soiree. He’s really cute. I also met a bunch of other people named Vincent (there were two). Younger French guys do kiss you for real on the cheek (at least some). I got stuck holding Afton’s (a girl from my classes from Washington) drink while she danced some Latin moves with some Frenchie. It was at the student center, where you can buy beer at lunch. Beer smells awful; I wanted to puke on all the people drinking it. It smells worse than an incubator full of yeast and e.coli. I also had the pleasure of talking to a pleasantly drunk Frenchie who liked to invade my personal bubble. I think when the other person is bending over backwards you should know you are too close to their face. He told me a funny story about how some French kids have thought he said a swear word when he asks if they like the fac (slang for faculty=school). The best part of the night was when I checked my bank account (for the third or fourth time that day) and my bourse was in! It is an amazing feeling when you are 2,100 euros richer.