Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 35: Rainy Days and Painting Haze



5 octobre 2009 (Day 35)
This morning I woke up to a rainy autumn day. It was really beautiful in its loneliness with the red leaves falling and the people scurrying about like mice, each to their own little hole. It made me want to put on a trench coat and find a park bench to read on and watch the world change from the green of summer to the gray of winter. I also wanted to watch old movies curled up in a blanket.
Phonetiques was pretty pleasant today. We didn’t have any outbursts and she actually verbally told us some of the rules we are supposed to know. We went over liaisons and had an introduction to the “Parisian R” at the end of class. We listened to part of the play “Les Bourgeois Gentilhomme“ Moliere wrote in 1670. I couldn't help getting distracted by the fact that by the end of the lesson our teacher had out NINE different markers. Each time she wrote something new she seemed to get out a new marker... it was like Mary Poppins with her bag of stuff that never ends.
I ate a quick lunch and then went off to learn proper fencing technique. Today I accidentally hit my teacher in the face while he didn’t have his helmet on….oops! What comes around goes around because towards the end of class I got the tip of a floret stabbed into my knuckle. My knuckle is so cute when it is green and poofy!
I headed off to FNAC to do some homework for about an hour. Afterwards I walked the same two blocks back and forth about 3 times to see what pastry I wanted to get because I was hungry after fencing. I finally found a brioche Suisse, a recommended favorite. It has similar bread to that of a croissant, but inside were chocolate chips and pudding.
My art history class was at the Musee des beaux arts today. It is a gorgeous museum, I was really sad that I only got to go into two galleries although I did catch a glimpse of a Monet and some other impressionist paintings. We analyzed paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries. I am excited to go back to the museum and sit and sketch and ponder. It really was a perfect museum day.
I had dinner at the Rubis. I had ravioli that was filled with something that didn’t taste good. Like fish. Or other inedible objects. The squash was really yummy though and I had some delicious citrus mousse. Our kitchen got closed today, only two words were on the note “clogged sink.” I am still trying to figure out why they try to punish us by locking the kitchen. You just go and use a different kitchen on a different floor.