Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 49: I am not left-handed

We actually learned how to do this move in French. You do it to gain points or to show your enemy that you aren't scared and for them to "bring it on." After doing this, you often keep your sword basically in this position as your opponent tries to attack you. Long story short, it changes who gets priority for points and is really intimidating.

19 octobre 2009 (Day 49)
I really think the weather here changes more often than it does in Utah. I only say this because the temperature fluxuations have been nuts. Just today I went back and forth from being freezing to wearing no coat outside and back and forth at least three more times. Now it is just cold. My heater isn’t working. We worked more on our R’s and the [y] [u] sounds in phonetics. It is good that we are, because I have a hard time with those to sounds! Fencing was good today. We had some boys come to our class today. It was good to fence against them because they are so aggressive and put more power into the moves. I fenced against a left-handed boy. It was so hard! It reminded me of the fencing scene in The Princess Bride, that goes like this
[fencing]
Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful.
Man in Black: Thank you; I've worked hard to become so.
Inigo Montoya: I admit it, you are better than I am.
Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know.
Man in Black: And what is that?
Inigo Montoya: I... am not left-handed.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage]
Man in Black: You are amazing.
Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years.
Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
Inigo Montoya: Tell me.
Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and regains his advantage]
I came home and showered and then headed off to the museum for art class. Ten minutes before the start of class, at the museum, I looked at our schedule and saw that I put the museum date on the wrong day on my calendar! I invented a shortcut and ended up getting back to class (a 20 minute tram ride) before our teacher started the lecture. How lucky for me! We talked about Nicolas Poussin today who is arguably one of the best French painters (or at least in the top three). Ironically, he didn’t paint in France but in Rome, Italy. I lent my journal to the professor to prop up the projector and I forgot to get it at the end of class! I am hoping it will be in the class in the morning or that my teacher picked it up.
Mathilde called and cancelled our lesson for today, so I went to the Rubis for dinner. I had some turkey, pasta, and weird vegetables. I came back to my chilly room and have been doing homework, happily with hot chocolate and cheerios since. The internet stopped working though, so hopefully the French words I made up in my paper are real ones.