8 octobre 2009 (Day 38)
When it rains here, it can pour! I thought that in Nantes the rain was always the “crachin nantais” which doesn’t really feel like rain at all. This morning I woke up to a blanket of white fog and left for my one class of the day in a shirt and jeans because it was sunny and in the 70s. When I got out of class there was a river running down the street. It wasn’t really that intense, but there was a plethora of standing water and it was still pouring. Thankfully Raphael, a nice man in my classes let me borrow his umbrella. It was very kind of him, as only one side of me got wet. I shared the umbrella with Wednesday, a girl in my theatre class that lives in the same building as me. (When I got up the next day, my shirt was still wet!)
I got kicked off my table at lunch today. The girls were actually really nice about it and some boys let me sit by them. I tried an interesting dessert today; it was whipped eggs (oeufs fouette I think). It was okay. I bought some cheese with cumin in it, which is delicious. I feel like I have had it before, but I don’t remember when. I also bought some chickpeas at the store, so I had some with my brown rice, yummy.
I had another lesson with Mathilde. I taught her how to tell time and the names of fruits. Teaching English will be a really good experience for me. I can already tell I will learn a lot as I go. The next few lessons we are planning on focusing on preparing Mathilde for her interview with the au pair agency. In the middle of our lesson the fire alarm went off! We were really slow at getting out, so it is a good thing that there really wasn’t a fire. I think my ears still may be ringing from the experience actually.
I stayed up until 1am planning my winter break with Brooke, my angelic friend from USU and correcting a different friend’s medical school application. I am so glad I’m not ever applying to med school.

