Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 50: I <3 French Pastries



20 octobre 2009 (Day 50)

Today we had theatre early because the salle de repetition was reserved for someone else during our class time. I was out walking to class before the sun was waking everyone else up. It wasn’t too chilly and it felt like it was going to be a nice day. I took a picture of a fantastic sign that said that it was around 53.6F in one of the art history rooms on the 19th of October. I told you it was cold last week! I tried to get on the wifi at school, but didn’t for some time later because I forgot to add an E in front of my student number! We worked on pronunciation of our lines in theatre. Annick brought us hot pain au chocolats and croissants. Melanie brought some yummy energy bread that had hazelnuts and raisins in it as well as some delicious little pastries. We had fun working. We had to change classrooms because a class came at 8:30 (but their teacher didn’t get there until around 9am!).

I was falling asleep a little bit in writing class when we were going over grammar stuff. I woke up more when we talked about an interesting piece about beer by Philippe Delerm. Annick said my last homework did not work at all, so she just isn’t going to grade it. Nana and I decided to try getting lunch at the Pole Etudient (the student center). They serve things like salads, sandwiches, and quiche. I got a mediocre quiche, an apple, and some yogurt. I scurried over to the Theatre (TU) after to see if I could find the Italian. Everyone has been plotting this. They didn’t disappoint. At the TU I found two of my teachers and a handful of my classmates. Madame Rialland said she was there because she was curious to see what this Italian looked like! Ho la la! Sadly (or perhaps happily), he never came so I just talked with Annick a little bit and did some homework.

I had my laptop so I got on the internet and did some homework during the time that I normally have theatre. I got to video chat with Julie and baby Ginny. She (she being Ginny) is so fat! It was good to talk to Julie. I really liked orale today. Madame Sanson set up a scenario for us. Everyone was on a cruise ship that had an accident and was going to sink. A small boat with three people came by and they had spots for only three other people. Everyone was assigned a different role (doctor, pregnant lady, actress, scientist, child, nun, journalist, lawyer, etc.). I volunteered to be one of the three on the small boat. It was a great choice because we got to counter all the arguments everyone had about why they should be allowed on the boat. So I got to spend 90 minutes totally destroying everyone with ridiculous counter arguments. I enjoyed the role. Everyone said I was really mean, but I just did what the teacher said for us three to do, counter all their arguments. I actually had some people say they didn’t want to be in the boat with us. Others fought a good fight while a few just gave up after giving one or two arguments. We ended up saving the scientist who had the cure for cancer, the journalist who had a message to give so a war wouldn’t start, and a famous athlete just because he was so funny. He kept pulling things out of his bag to use as props (swim cap, goggles, cookies, medicine, etc.). Jose actually gave me some of the cookies after class. Hurray! They were SOOOOOO yummy, they were little BN (biscuit nantais I believe). They were mini cookies with chocolate filling in the middle.

It was raining when it was time to go home. Luckily I still had my friend’s umbrella in my backpack (he hasn’t been to class) so I only got slightly soaked. I changed into flip flops and shorts and jumped in all the puddles on my way to get some food for dinner at Marche-U and some BN brand cookies. I had another lesson about interviews with Mathilde. It is pretty much midterms here so I have lots of homework and tests this week and then I am off to Sweden for a week!