Inside the castle....3 octobre 2009 (Day 33)
It was a fantastic day! I woke up early [which I wasn’t exactly thrilled about. It is harder to get up earlier since the sun doesn’t rise until around 8am] got ready and went to the market. I bought some delicious apple juice that was freshly squeezed, a loaf of bread, some pears and melon. I got the pears and melon from my favorite friend. He gave me one of each flavor of pear since I didn’t know which one I liked best. He also gave me two cantaloupes for the price of one…or half of one. Mostly he gave me a really good deal and a plum with my change. I scurried back to my apartment so I could go to the Marche-U before meeting up with some friends. May I just say that six liters of orange juice is REALLY heavy. I am now done with my stocking up on food, so hopefully my food budget will be smaller. I just need to make all the rice, cous cous, and instant potatoes that I bought.
I met up with Cheryl and Isabel, two English girls from the ward at the main chateau in town. We played tourist for the day and had a lot of fun. I talked to them in my “posh” English (It isn’t “British”, Britain includes countries like Ireland and Scotland). Apparently I talk more like the upper class and they talk rubbish English. I learned lots of new things. For instance, I like gerklings, they are not pickles. It is a urEYEnal not a urinal, all purses are bags, including your backpack. It isn’t the bathroom, you need to go to the toilet. A cross walk is a zebra (not zEEbra) crossings and I don’t wear pants. Pants are boy’s undies, knickers are girl’s undies, and we all wear trousers. It was pretty fun learning all the things I say wrong. We laughed and talked really loudly a lot today.
We went and walked around and in the chateau while taking lots and lots of pictures. This included pictures that had us inside the peep holes of the walls. After playing in the castle we went to a kebab shop. Cheryl got a Panini and Isabel and I tried the falafels. It was all right, but it wasn’t in a pita and didn’t have the cucumbers and sauce [a little disappointing since I've been craving them since 2005]. Afterwards we went to LUNAS, a fun hippie shop in town and I bought a church bag and a little purse (which is what English women put their money in, wallets are for men) for my ipod. It is amazingly gigantic with lots of colors.
We had a ball at the FNAC. It is the equivalent to Borders; lots of movies, books, and music. We had a lot of fun in the children’s book section. We found the book my teacher showed us about the mole who had someone poo and his head and many other books that were very original in France and some that were translated that I recognized. We also went to the covered shopping area of Nantes and looked in some of the shops. There was an amazing shop that made art out of chocolate, one with 50E necklaces, and another with posh hippie clothes. To continue our perfect day, we got Amorino ice cream. I got 5 flavors: biscotti, vanilla, straticeela, nutella, and strawberry. YUMMMY! It is definitely worth it. We went to church and had a mini-spiritual marathon, first watching Relief Society, having a half hour break, and then watching the Saturday morning session live. Leaving the tram there was this hilarious man who was started saying to us, “English, French, Swedish, Italian…Mama mia!” We started walking faster. The two meetings were both really good. My long classes have prepared me well to sit for that long. One of the sets of Elders (White and Riley) were kind enough to ride the tram to Commerce with me so that I wouldn’t be all by myself for the whole way home. And thus ended a perfect day in France.

