15 septembre 2009
Today I decided to take 4 more credits. After talking with my writing teacher, who is also the theatre teacher, I decided that I could add theatre to my 18-credit, 3 gym class schedule. I went to theatre today and it was a lot of fun. I forgot how much I enjoyed acting. Our teacher really got a kick out of some of our little scenes. We did a lot of acting today surrounding the idea of a joker or a fool. At times I was really frustrated that I couldn’t express in French what I wanted to say. Luckily, you can just mime what you want to say. I think it is going to be an excellent class to help me become more animated and have my own definite personality when I am speaking in French. My teacher is going to work it out so that I get credit for this class as well, which means I have to participate in the final- a play!
I ate lunch with a girl from my IRFFLE classes. I found out that she is in her thirties and teaching English in two different French high schools. It was really nice to talk to her; she has some French friends who can help me figure out what classes to take next semester. I had this really nasty beef with mashed carrots. I had leftover pasta (yummy!) tonight with bread and the French equivalent of cream cheese- yum! I started craving chocolate later this evening but sadly, the grocery store closes at 7:30 each night. I may go tomorrow morning, because I’ve been craving Toblerone for several days now.
No other grand things really happened today. I went grocery shopping, surfed the internet, and made fun of the two boys on the floor below that kept yelling at everyone who passed by our building for about two hours.
Everyone should do study abroad! It is such a great experience to explore life. Some things that I’ve learned thus far are to :
1. Embrace Change. Stay positive, it is not going to be like the United States. Instead of complaining say, “I am so very glad that we have drinking fountains and public restrooms in the United States. I am also glad that the United States sells mouth wash, peanut butter, and Gatorade.”
2. Be bold! Go ahead and make a fool of yourself. Try foods, meet people, make mistakes. You are in a foreign country and you won’t see these people again anyway.
3. Learn the language. Life is a lot more fun when you understand the local speech. It is also how you make friends and pass your classes.
4. Take things how they come. It isn’t the United States, so don’t expect it to be like the United States. Accept the fact that the French may have an odd obsession with pink toilet paper and that they don’t have 8.5X11 paper. Embrace the new life, the change of pace. Learn something new and enjoy it.
5. Appreciate home. It is amazing how living in a different culture makes you so grateful for your own. Be sure to also appreciate things in your foreign culture such as: great mass transportation, bicycles, fencing, baguettes, nutella, chocolate, markets, amazing jackets, friendliness, and a non-stressful lifestyle.
When I first arrived in Nantes, I was very resistant and disappointed that France wasn’t what I expected. After making some goals for my stay here in France, I’ve become more open and have decided to be positive about my experience and do all I can to better appreciate the different culture, as well as my own.

