Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 18: Faire la Guerre


"The Cheese"

18 septembre 2009 (Day 18)

I bought used copies of The 3 Musketeers and The Huntchback of Notre Dame from a man who was selling books near the school. They are pretty thick books; we’ll see if I can get survive them- especially in French!

I never thought I’d hear myself say it but, “I am so glad that I am taking history!” Our professor really is amazing. I sit in awe at how much he knows…he has a tendency to go on tangents, which lead to other tangents of really interesting things. For instance today we were talking about the Ancient Regime in France (we didn’t really ever get there). We were analyzing a cartoon and someone used the word “citizen”. Our professor then explained why you can’t use the word citizen (it wasn’t a word in French until AFTER the French Revolution) which led to talking about the roots of different words which led to how anti-Semitism began (I bet you never would have thought that talking about the Ancient Regime would lead to an anti-Semitism lesson). It was so interesting and so good to know though. I learned about how it began in Occidental Europe with the Catholics and why Hitler chose the Jews to beat up on.

My fridge tragically ceased to produce cold for some time, so I had to throw out some of my food. The lucky consequences are that I bought “the cheese with the priest on the front” that was recommended to me by none other than Ben Abbot.

I’m getting more homework, but that is a good thing!