8 septembre 2009 (Day 8)
This morning I went with Sam to check out two markets. The butchers are so hardcore here! It was crazy, and there were things that were alive! I watched a mal slit an eels throat and peel some of its skin off. The fresh eggs at the market are actually less expensive than in the store. Fruits and vegetables from the marche (market) are also quite comparable price wise.
I went to a random not-to-be-mentioned French bank today and set up an account. It will be nice to eventually have my stipend (bourse) put in it.
Today we got the results of our testing. I was placed in “niveau” (level) C1 (aka level 5 out of 6). I’m really glad that I did, because it means I get to take art history!
My schedule will be as follows:
Monday
9-11am Phonetics
12:15-1:45pm Fencing
4-6pm Art in France and in Europe
Tuesday
10:30am-1:00pm Written French Language
4-5:30pm Oral French Language
Wednesday
11am-1pm French Culture
3-5pm Written French Language
Gym douce
Thursday
1-3:30pm Written French Language
Ultimate frisbee
Friday
8:30-10am Oral French Language
1:30-3:30 History of France
The church had a Burrito Fiesta tonight that Hannah, Carter, Sam, and I all went to. Everyone was very nice. I got my first bisous (the traditional cheek kissing). The burritos were delicious, especially the shells that the Elders made themselves. We all helped to chop tomatoes, onions, and peppers for the burritos filling to oozing with cheese, beans, and meat.
The shells were so amazing I got the recipe and am going to share it with you
The Elders’ Amazing Burrito Shells
2c. warm, almost hot water
1 packet of yeast
Flour
~1/5 c. oil
~1/5 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
Add the water, sugar, salt yeast, and 1 c. of flour. Mix and let rise for 10-15 minutes. Add oil and mix. Add more flour and mix to form a dough that is consistent, stretchy, but not too sticky. Form dough into 1 inch balls and flatten them with a rolling pin, using flour. Fry shells in a frying pan on high. Cook until there are a few, but not many, brown spots.
After burritos, the boys played ping pong with the Elders. Apparently ping pong is a really big thing here. Instead of gyms in the church, they have a ping pong room. I learned all these amazing facts from the Elders. The Elders are so great. I am so blessed to have seen Elder Tanner Staples, a friend from high school be serving and happen to find each other. He has been really helpful and is a lot of fun. They are such goofs, they go golfing all the time and are just fun kids.


No comments:
Post a Comment