Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 192: Baking Brownies for Bourgeois' Birthday



11 mars 2010 (Day 192)
I just remembered why I haven’t tried to bake in France (or cook more technical things in general). After my classes and running today I met up with Cheryl at her house/Anne and Yves to make brownies for Elder Bourgeois’ birthday (which is on Monday). I toted all the ingredients to their cute little house and they even had an electric hand mixer (woot!). The batter tasted delicious and was just frankly divine. I should have just given Elder B the batter because the oven was a disaster. They didn’t have any rectangle pans so I had to use two quiche pans. Since I was splitting the batter I decided to not follow the directions and put the chocolate chips in first because I figured that would be easier for if I accidentally poured too many of Cheryl’s chopped up chocolate bits. In retrospect this was a mistake. All the chocolate melted and made a nice burnt crust. So Cheryl didn’t remember how to work the oven and I had no idea how so we asked Yves. He helped us get it turned on and I stuck in the first pan and started my timer. 30 minutes later they still weren’t done. 10 minutes later. Still not done. Another 10. And another. After 90 minutes of “baking” Anne came home and was like you don’t have the bottom burner on (mind you this “oven” is not a real oven. Or even an excuse. It doesn’t even fully shut…there are lots of air spaces. Long story short we got the brownies baked but burnt so they turned out more like cake. I then used my inherited mad frosting making skills after Yves sliced off the burnt and made one of the cakes look edible. Cheryl cooked me some nice chicken stew and we decorated the cake and then I met Elder Bourgeois and his companion and gave him his birthday cake. Apparently the Elders devoured it because it was gone the next morning (they got it around 9:30pm….and we started at 5pm!).

No comments:

Post a Comment