Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 126: Just Another Day in Paradise

4 janvier 2010 (Day 126)
Today I woke up early (around 8am…wahoo) and had the usual hot cocoa and bread. But guess what, it is snowing! It was so beautiful. I’ve been working on going through New Year’s pictures most of the morning. I took a break for lunch and we all had stir fry. Everyone took a nap after lunch while I did laundry and did some cleaning down in Brooke’s and my room. I went to the mielry (the place where we make the honey) and helped Florence fill bottles, organize, and put labels on bottles. It actually is a lot of fun!
Funny story… Brooke and I sleep in the same bed down in the basement and she likes to spoon me while I am a touch-me-and-die sort of sleeper. Last night she was well onto my half of the bed and then she stuck her freezing feet in my miniscule quarter of the bed that was left before I fell off onto the freezing abyss of the stone floor. I naturally began to kick her feet so she’d move them and then she was like, “Well you are hogging all the blankets!” (Which I wasn’t). I talked to her about it today and she responded, “Well, you had half the blankets!” (Naturally Brookie, I get half!) and it was all really funny because she said she just wanted to be by me because it was so cold.
The dinner this evening was much earlier than last week (seeing as the kids have school and have to get up really earlier to go down into a bigger city for school). We had leftover soup and taste tested some of the canned pork and lentils to see how the taste changed. French people are such conniseurs! “Well, now that this has set, it is much more acidic. It must be the tomatoes. We should do this, this, and this to change the recipe.” Jean Claude teased me again if I wanted some whiskey (Americans apparently always have whiskey, so it is our little joke to ask if I want alcohol). We had escargot after dinner (don’t worry, it was chocolate) and now we are just winding down another wonderful day on the farm.
The night didn’t really wind down, it winded up. I was working on the computer and Brooke came in and we started dancing to Laissez-Moi Dansez (youTube it). We are determined to learn the dance and perform it to get extra credit for Professor Gordon. This dancing of course was done with honey-yogurt-cinnamon masks on our face. Brooke tried to lick my face because it smelled so good. Many funny jokes ensued.