17 janvier 2010 (Day 139)
Today was the day to say goodbye to a lot of the missionaries. They all bore there testimonies and it was very sweet. Elder Poussard is done and will be going home to another part of France, greenie Baker is no longer green, and Elder Brooks won’t be seeing Nantes again on his mission. We will now only have two Elders, Elder Bourgeois and another Elder.
We had a crazy lunch today at church. There were lots of desserts being shared. Armelle gave me a piece of her lemon meringue tarte, someone made this gross pudding dried fruit thing, and the highlight was a galette des rois. I was pretty disappointed that I didn’t find the little ceramic in my piece, signifying that I was the queen for the day. Anne, Isabel’s “mother” here in France told me to take another piece. She also told me which one (it had the feve in it). I told her that was cheating and that it didn’t count if I knew so then she hid the cake and told me to pick a number. She of course cheated and gave me the piece with the feve. I promptly put on the crown and enjoyed trying to boss everyone around for the rest of church. I made a really funny joke about some of the choir people not being in my kingdom. What comes around goes around though, because I later got made fun of for not being able to sing high enough to be alto. It was recommended that I join the bass singers, lol.
Going home was so fun. This has got to be at least the fifth time in a row that we have had the exact same discussion about the ugly new buildings, and that some of the older new buildings look much nicer, and who approved of the ugly buildings design. Honest to goodness, it is like from the film Groundhog’s Day. The exact same things get said.
I had a lovely run in with several boys today at the McDonald’s that isn’t the one that I’ve been going to in Commerce. I was inside, messaging Hannah about when I could come over to watch the fireside and some boy (by boy I mean a 25-year-old idiot) was out in the play area with his friends and they were all staring and laughing and he comes in. he proceeds to ask me how old I think he is. I guess 25, which is exact! He goes back to tell his friends and then comes back in, offers to buy me a drink or something to eat, tells me that I have lovely eyes, and that he would really love to get to know him. I say no thanks and that sorry, I’m busy. This lovely group of gentleman continues to perturb me so I try to plan my exit since they were blocking some of the doors (I was supposed to go talk to them after I was done). Luckily I got away without having to use any of my kick-butt skills. I’m so glad I have that cold New York blood.
After the eventful time at McD’s I decided to get some professional help, so I asked John. Lol, he is in no way a professional with computers, but he pushed random buttons and got the internet working! I am so glad to have it in my room again so that I can look up classes online and avoid the McDonald’s crowd (honestly, what kind of boys pick up girls in sweat pants at McDonald’s)?!?!
Being at Hannah’s to watch the fireside was a much more pleasant experience. Hannah popped us some popcorn and we had a really enjoyable time. In the fireside Elder Andersen talked a lot about the journey that we are on and the future. It was really good. Afterwards Hannah said, “I can’t believe I was so stupid. That was so good. I can’t believe I’ve been boycotting going to them. It was so dumb of me.” So that was a good thing. She’s been making a lot of effort since the New Year started to do all the church stuff (institute, church on time, firesides, etc.).
I made some rice for dinner and then went to planning my schedule, because tomorrow is the start of school as a university student!

