Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 144: Happy Day! Sociology, History, and Home Teachers

22 janvier 2010 (Day 144)
Oh my goodness. My mind is blown. The sociology of art was such a fascinating class today. The professor is hilarious. He made me really start thinking about what is art and what is an artist (versus an artisan). He started the class by saying that people like Da Vinci and Michelangelo weren’t artists (and that they were artisans). He also had a little discussion using Marcel Duchamps infamous urinal that started DaDaism. In art’s defense, I don’t think it was fair to use the first example of “modern art” because he was using it to make a point. But perhaps that makes his arguments stronger.
I got my student card (after going there for the third or fourth time). I am now a third year sociology student at the University of Nantes! I ate lunch at the RU (university restaurant). I had rice, ratatouille, and some pork that was very nice.
The joy of my life has returned: French History. I know I’m not in the IRFFLE program anymore, but I am still going to take M. Touvron’s class. He started off with a stimulating discussion on what is a nation. I think my favorite quote for this week’s lesson was: United Statesman, it is indeed a word that exists, but no one uses it. After our discussion on what is a nation M. Touvron proceeded to give a brief overview of the history of France that the new students missed out on last semester. Oh man, I love his class.
After class I caught the first tram off to the church. There I met up with my home teachers, and Hannah as well (History is the ONE class she hasn’t tagged along with *Retrospect, she is now). I actually got on the same tram as Hannah. During the ride a number she didn’t know called her so she had me answer it. It was the bishop, so I just went along pretending that I was Hannah because Hannah has a hard time understanding French. I proceeded to set up an appointment for her with the bishop. She was pretty funny about it once I was done because she was like, “Now I am going to have to try to explain that it was you to the bishop!” “Would you have rather me have given the phone to you?” “No.” Oh Hannah, bless her heart. I am going to have so much more patience after having all my classes every. single. day. with her. I just can’t see people that frequently, it is too much, even if I love them* (*unless it is someone like Amber. But I think I’d even get sick of Amber…naa). Hannah and I arrived only about 5 minutes late for our meeting with the home teachers. Our home teachers gave a really great lesson after we all introduced ourselves. It was definitely just what I needed to hear. One of the articles they referred to was, “The Best Is Yet to Be.” Once I got home after a dull evening at institute (but we got out early!) I went home and read it. And then read it again.