Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 142: Canceled Classes and Raclette Parties



20 janvier 2010 (Day 142)
Well today was the crown jewel for canceled class. I woke up to go to an early morning epistemology (noun: a branch of philosophy that investigates the origin, nature, methods, and limits of human knowledge.) class. It was canceled (I found out not too long after) so I went back to my room. I met Hannah for our sociology of cultures class. This class was also canceled. I headed home for a nice long break and then went back to school (third time today) to an archeology class that was indeed happening. It was a pretty interesting class, about the medieval cities in France. I considered taking it, but the vocab was a little above me. Archeology was a lot more interesting to me than the Ancient Philosophy class I went to afterward. We talked about the difference between a ‘discours’ and a ‘recit.’ So while this nice older man, with a real pocket watch who reminded me of Frank, an accounting teacher at USU went on about Platon and such I doodled. I did learn some cool words though like illud temps which is Latin, as well as peri pherseos. Mostly I was bored even though the teacher was nice.
Thinking/listening/taking notes so much gives me headaches so I went home and cooked some cous cous with ratatouille and watched Leap Year (with Amy Adams starring). I went into the kitchen to wash some stuff later on and the floor (ok, some of us) was having a raclette party. Maude invited me, so a while later I went. Raclette is a specific cheese that you melt and place on baby boiled potatoes with some meat. It is really good. They had this awesome special cheese melter/cooker contraption so lots of people could eat at the same time. There were also cherry tomatoes and chips to eat. We all talked while munching on appetizers (and the others drinking). We had an interesting conversation on what different alcoholic things are made of. I had fun talking and helping to clean up because the door locking man came around and finished our raclette party. Several of the people went to someone’s to play Scrabble, but it was late enough that I headed for bed.