Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 134: Oh Boy Burritos

Party on the tram!
New Companions...ha ha ha

12 janvier 2010 (Day 134)
Mmm mmm mmm. I had oatmeal this morning for the first time in a long while. I woke up to do my laundry. I delivered my letters and went shopping for groceries. I bought fruit, veggies, yogurt, and cheese. I went with Hannah to see when classes were. We went around to some of the different departments and found out that most of the schedules will be online. I also went to play translator with Hannah with her rent. Turns out she hasn’t been getting CAF because she hadn’t given them all the papers.
Afterwards, I cleaned up a bit and it was off for burritos. I invited my friend Nana from Ghana, and she said yes. On the way out I invited John, my Scottish friend, but he had two tests in the morning so he needed to study. I had to wait for about 5 trams to go by until Nana came out of the library. Luckily we were still on time to burritos. I had quite the scare because it was exchanges and I didn’t know, so I thought it was the new missionaries. Luckily they were on splits. You see, I thought Elder Smiley was in Nantes now, and well, my face was just priceless (at least that is what Isabel said…that the look on my face was just to die for when I saw him). Elder Smiley is that one elder who talked to me a lot last time they were on splits and we took them home in the giant rented van. Well anyway, this evening he asked me about life and what I was doing, how I was and all that jazz. I talked and yeah. He was really quiet/mellow at dinner. It wasn’t half as awkward as the fact that before dinner started I went to take my salad into the kitchen and then Nana disappeared. She ended up talking on the phone for a really long time. There was a chair for him at the table with EVERYONE but he sat on the other table by himself. Elder Smiley did come sit by the rest of the ward after the 3 other elders left to sit by an investigator who had just come in with her daughter. The conversations were kind of all over and no one was talking much to Nana, so it was lucky that Elder Smiley talked to my friend Nana, though it took him a while to realize that she was a non-member and he was just babbling a little about his mission (he then mouthed to ask me if she was a non-member) but once he realized he switched gears a little. So we talked a little bit about the gospel. Nana enjoyed the burritos, but she had to go so I walked her to the tram stop and then ran back to the chapel. I told Smiley thanks for talking to Nana and he told me good job and I was lame with bringing up the gospel part and he was scolding me that I should have given her a Book of Mormon and then made me sit down and showed me how to explain the Book of Mormon with the pictures that are in the front and that it is a great teaching technique. We all eventually got our stuff and walked to the tram together. Going out of the chapel someone started on BYU football and we had our own little holy war. I started singing my own version of “Love at Home” (words changed) so we stopped talking about BYU v. the UofU. It was really funny because there were 4 elders (Smiley, Baker, Bourgeois, Poussard) and 4 girls (myself, Cheryl, Paki & her sister) walking home and we all ended up pairing off talking. If only the mission president was there, lol. I just thought it was funny so I took a picture. I was still talking to Smiley on the walk. I don’t know how, but he got talking about dating/marriage and this was consecutive with him giving me his name and telling me to find him on Facebook and asking if I’d want to hang out when I got back. So I kind of got asked out on a date…by a missionary. Sort of. More just to hang out since we are both from Utah. That tends to happen a lot. Like Elder Riley and I are going to hang out when I’m back (he’s from Idaho). We talked about PMG, his grandpa who died, him dating when he gets back, being a doctor, getting his little brother on a mission.
Well, Nana ended up being on the same tram as us (she went and visited friends) and so Elder Smiley sat by her and was asking her all these ridiculous questions about Ghana…air dart guns, underground rituals, where does this kid come up with this stuff? Hopefully Nana isn’t too scared off from the church after Smiley’s crazy questions. At least she liked the burritos. Elder Bourgeois, who is one of the new missionaries from Nantes went to BYU with THE Stone Elder Abe McKay. I guess McKay is already in some high up position, so I am pretty much the coolest when I say that I went to school with him. Hannah didn’t come for burritos because, “her hands were cold.”