Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 201: Relief Society Luncheon

Hannah and Jessica
Han and Hannah

20 mars 2010 (Day 201)
Today was the Relief Society luncheon. I brought my giant sack filled with many plates full of cookies. We all met up at Recteur Schmitt. By ‘we’ I mean to precise Hannah, myself, Jessica (Hannah’s friend from Washington), Debora (a middle-aged woman from Brazil that was in my IRFFLE class), and Han (the vietnamien that we [by we I mean the missionaries here] are teaching. We all went together to the church and spent a very nice afternoon together.
Debora seemed interested in the church and asked lots of questions. Cheryl did really well at answering some of them. We first listened to a talk about visiting teaching, took a group picture, and then ate our feast. The room was decorated and looked really sharp. They fed us fried rice and egg rolls. For dessert everyone made a dessert for a different sister. I ended up getting what I think was flan, but I am not sure. We gave the missionaries their box of cookies and they loved their card. Elder Lazarev appreciated that he was drawn the tallest, lol. I took Debora to the tram stop and talked to her for a little bit about the gospel.
I helped clean up some and then I went with the missionaries to teach Han. We talked about the commandments. Elder Bourgeois taught with Elder Knapp because Elder Lazarev had to leave and talk to someone. Elder Bourgeois was explaining the Ten Commandments and how we don’t lie and told us a lie about how he didn’t like Elder Knapp’s tie and how he thought he was ugly. He later told us he wasn’t serious and then Han bit back and said that Elder Knapp was ugly. It was super funny. She was kidding, but she is so quiet, so you wouldn’t ever really think she would say hilarious things like that.
After our successful lesson teaching the commandments I went to the tram. I had a feeling to not take the tram that was coming and so I followed it and got on the next one. I ended up talking to Yusha, a young woman who the elders had contacted earlier. I talked to her during the tram ride and then gave her a plate of cookies (I knew I was supposed to bring an extra for some reason) and told her to come to church.
On my second tram (it takes two tram lines to get home from the church) I saw another Chinese person. I decided to talk to them as well (why not!). It ended up being a young man, Wubin, who actually lives in my building. He doesn’t really speak French (or English for that matter) very well and he said that he is lonely. I invited him to church and he said yes and to call him tomorrow morning to remind him…cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment