Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 218: Rodin and the end of Road Trips

6 avril 2010 (Day 218)
Oh the beautiful French mornings! We slept in a little bit today and then went in search for banana nutella crepes for breakfast. Sadly we didn’t find any because I didn’t want to go to the stand that I found yesterday because the people made me wait forever. Jenni proposed that we go to a boulangerie and find crepes later. They got their usual pain au chocolat and I decided to try a delightful brioche (bread) with chocolate chips. We walked around and went to the Musée Rodin. There were a lot of police nearby and we enjoyed making fun of them because they looked like robocops with their giant armor but no helmet! There were quite a few people waiting in line for the Rodin (but nothing compared to the other museums). We first went into the garden that holds a lot of his sculptures. It was beautiful. It was probably one of my most favorite things that I have seen. I love how raw the sculptures of Rodin are, they have that unfinished aspect and look like they are practically in motion. Rodin’s sculptures of the thinker, the walker, and the kiss especially made an impression on me. We went inside of the museum and saw more sculptures.
We then headed over to the D’Orsay museum. The line was enormous! I waited in line while Hyer and Coyle went searching for banana Nutella crepes. They delivered and so did I! I asked a worker there and he said we got to go in the short line because Jenni and Leann had bought a pass for the Rodin and d’Orsay. I got to go in the short line too! Having that cursed carte de séjour pays off because I got in to all the museums for free! We stayed and walked around and saw all the works in the d’Orsay until it was time for me to head to the train. We went back and got my stuff; I grabbed another crepe (beurre sucre) and went off with the most amazing baguette ever to the train station. Jenni and Hyer gave me directions and I didn’t get lost! I had to wait at the train station for a while because my train came late. I tried to read Proust all the way home. I didn’t get very far in the book, but I did enjoy the cute little boy that was like, “This is my country, this is our country, this is France!” I thought he was stellar; his mother didn’t think so.
When I got to Nantes I went to the church to catch the missionaries to find out about serving a mini-mission. They had forgotten. They did appreciate the Reese’s peanut butter cups that Hyer brought.

No comments:

Post a Comment