23 octobre 2009 (Day 53)
Today was the day to leave! I got all ready last night so I didn’t have much to do. In orale we discussed smoking. Pretty much everyone (except the three smokers in the class) we very much against smoking. Our teacher smokes and I think we might have offended her. In theatre we went over the last of the scenes. I had yummy jambalaya for lunch (that wasn’t at all like jambalaya, but good anyway.) History was amazing as usual. We ended up talking about the current scandalous news in France concerning Nicolas and Jean Sarkozy. Long story short, France is worried that because Jean Sarkozy, the President’s son was being nominated for a huge position and he is only 23. Many people thought this was because he’s Sarkozy’s son and that it was nepotism and a return to the Ancient Regime. (Jean ended up complying to complaints and stepping down from this nomination although he received it legally). I learned that Henri III was homosexual so he didn’t have any children. Thus France had to go back to the blood lines and found Henri de Navarre, who became Henri IV who had a little problem, for he was assassinated in 1614 by Ravaillac, not to mention that he had to change religions to become the King of France. We had a little “test” in History today but it wasn’t too bad.
I scurried home, finished packing, hastily finished my paper for writing and left two hours and twenty minutes early (in retrospect I left the lights on!). I was just really worried and not sure how it was going to work and if there was a manifestation in the city…There was no manifestation, but there was a creepster on the tram (possibly dementia) who started talking to me when I had in my ear buds and wasn’t listening. Even without my ear buds in I couldn’t understand what he was saying until he in English he said, “I love you so much mmmmmmmm!” Eek! I promptly got off that tram and I ran away quickly.
I found a kebab shop and had a kebab and frites (fries) for dinner. I went to FNAC (the big music/book/video store aka Borders in the US of A) and checked out the music. I found a 4-cd pack of “essential French”music for 10 euros so I bought it before the store closed. I went to Commerce and then walked to the gare (train station) to see how long it would take. I’ll catch the last tram if the train comes in on time. If not, I’ll be running. It felt like Christmas outside as I was walking to the gare. I stopped to watch fencing on tv for a second. While waiting for the train I listened to our theatre piece.
The train ride was alright. My legs didn’t love it. The older gentleman I sat next to snored. Rather loudly. I was finally smart and pulled out my ear plugs and used them. Next time I’m taking a blanket. They turned off the heat when they turned off the lights…brr! At 1 am the train stopped for a long time. I was so worried that I was on the wrong train because no one had checked our tickets and I knew that we should still be moving. Luckily we did start moving and I was on the right train.

