10 novembre 2009 (Day 71)
Well, today was quite the entertaining and eventful day. I woke up at 7am after going to bed after 1am and was pleasantly surprised to not be grumpy when I woke up. I took a piping hot shower seeing as my heater doesn’t work but the shower does. I got new sheets, met a random man at the store who thought he knew me so therefore had to ask me many questions about my life to be sure that I wasn’t who he thought I was, and went to class.
Today we spent the whole entire time in writing learning about the subjunctive (hurray!). It is a tense that foreign students find difficult. I am practicing using it more. I got my first 15/20 on a paper I wrote (okay, rewrote since she said I could do it over again)! And even then she said it wasn’t the greatest….French perfectionists. No, not really, it is just me. Il faut que je fasse des efforts. SUBJUNCTIF! The heater wasn’t working again so it was cold, but luckily we were in a very small room for theatre today so the room warmed up. We went over the second half of “Au Theatre comme au Theatre,” the piece that we will be performing the first week in December. In oral we had a comprehension test and had an exposee about the economy in the United States.
After class I scurried off to the Burrito Fest at the church. I met up with Isabel at Commerce where we waiting to cram ourselves into a tram car like sardines. When we got to the church 25 minutes late they still hadn’t started yet so we helped get ready. There were lots of missionaries there, six to be precise. Some came visiting from a different area. I talked a little bit to the greenie I talked to on Sunday (although they called him “blue”). I mostly talked to Elder Smiley in a conversation that started out in French and ended in English with me trying to turn it (unsuccessfully) back to French. Smiley chastised me about using a fork to eat my burrito, among other things that he critiqued/teased me about. He also asked me a plethora of questions as if he was interrogating me for a date. Or to write my life story. He also covered topics such as siblings, parents, their work, colleges, girls, girls on missions, how I am wasting my money studying abroad, etc.
Washing dishes was quite the hullaballo. I was rinsing and the boys (it took 4 of them) were drying dishes. Smiley kept on sticking things in the cupboard over my head since he is rather tall. He then decided to flick my poor Elder Baker with the wet dishrag. He hit him so hard he has a cloth burn from it! Minutes afterwards you could still see scratches and some of it was bleeding a little. Cody pulled a smooth one and “whacked me right on the tush” (or his words were something like that). Then there were jokes about how we should get together and oh, it was crazy!
Crazier still was the ride home. Cody rented a van to go up with his friend's to Normandy for the vacation. It is this fantastic 9-seater van. All six missionaries piled in to have a sleepover (about 10 minutes before their curfew). Cody was driving like a maniac, got the Elders to sing their mission song which was a really cute song they made up in French. Cody was driving all swirvy and saying random things to people out the window. During this Smiley was trying to ask me more questions and not involving the rest of the children in the conversation. All the missionaries gave their goofy goodbyes and handshakes through the window of the van. There were some quite missionaries, a missionary with a really annoying voice, creepy Smiley, and Tanner who said something funny but I don’t recall what it was.
Tomorrow there is no school, hurray!

