Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 55: Sweden!





25 octobre 2009 (Day 55)

We woke up early and got through security still terribly drowsy. The time changed while we were sleeping (I forgot) so we had a lot of time before our Easy Jet flight. Security was really easy. No one even checked my id. They played some pretty stellar music at the airport like N’Sync “Bye Bye Bye” and “I Believe I Can Fly.”

We had a peaceful flight (Brooke slept through it and I read and slept a little). Even from the plan Sweden was beautiful! I cannot articulate how lovely it is there. Gabriella and her dad came and picked us up. It was a least an hour’s drive to their house in Vallentuna, Sweden. It is a gorgeous yellow house built in 1904.

We had a scrumptious late lunch of tea and sandiwiches. I actually had some tea- it was strawberry flavored so it was quite good. They had lots of different kinds of artisian bread, peanut butter, and a yummy sweet/nutty spread. Afterwards Gabriella, Brooke, and I went on a walk around the town, seeing the old church of Vallentuna and the lake. The leaves were different colors and you could hear them crinkling underfoot. We took a little nap after our walk.

We then had lasagna to celebrate Axel’s birthday. He is the Bjornberg’s son who turned fourteen. The lasagna was really delicious and there was normal meat lasagna and spinach and mushroom lasagna as well.

Axel’s birthday cakes we amazing! First we sang to him in English, Swedish, French, and German. It was pretty neat. He had a gorgeous lemon cake and this yummy giant cookie one. It was an almond cookie with yummy chocolate mousse-like filling and a chocolate shell. It was really really really good. Both of them were actually.

Afterwards we the children went with Axel to play racketball. He got a new racket for his birthday (he recently started playing) and it was family night so we could go play. I am pretty bad at racketball, but I improved as the night progressed. We played for a really long time even though we were exhausted. “No, you are not tired. You must play.” Axel the Ax, oh man, he is a cute kid. He is so funny when he speaks English.

I got to do some family research with Catherine before heading into a deep sleep in my warm bed with a feather blanket.