Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 74: Friday the 13th

VENDREDI 13 novembre 2009 (Day 74)
I didn’t even realize that it was Friday the 13th until I was listening to the French news. The news anchor was explaining how Friday the 13th started, but I wasn’t paying much attention. I was too busy enjoying my new creation called, “oatmeal with banana and nutella.” It was pretty good. After breakfast I went to my first Friday class, oral. We had two exposées today. The most interesting was one from the boy from China about things made in China. He had a lot of sad facts about how horrific the working conditions are and how the government keeps all the money. On my! I saw random winking kid again. I first saw him at the IRFFLE party and then the other week he winked at me in the hall. I was walking to the TU and I saw him again so I said, “Bonjour.” In response he WINKED and then WHISPERED, “Salut.” (hey). Who whispers? Outside? To a stranger? If he was trying to come off mysterious it was more just creepy. We went over the play as usual in theatre. It went really well today. I ate some meat at the resto-u, lol. It actually kind of tasted like meatloaf. I had carrots and a chocolate éclair with it.
We killed Louis XVI today in history after talking about the declaration of the rights of man and citizens (1789) (which is very similar to the US Constitution 1776). The bourgeois made this declaration to benefit them as you can tell by the fact that they only talk about having judicial equality. Slaves and women weren’t included in the equality. As our teacher said, “It’s very simple, women didn’t exist.” I learned about the first feminist in France called Olympe de Gouge. She wrote about this inegality. She met the guillotine. Louis XIV also met the guillotine after the deputies voted and it passed by one vote that he would die because some fake letters invented to frame him for talking with the enemy countries who had recently invaded France. The men who didn’t like him said that he told them to come and attack the people of France.
I had a rendez-vous with the washing machine. Afterwards I went to FNAC to try to find some grammar books. I didn’t see them so I continued to E.Leclerc and IKEA. I bought another plug adapter, some chocolate, and cards. At IKEA I got another dish scrubber since I broke mine. I came home to the joyous discovery that I can now watch movies, Skype, and video chat in the comfort of my apartment. I had a great chit chat with Nate on Skype and messaged Matt the perfect while watching Hitch on youtube. Gotta love technology!