Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 89: A Day in the Countryside at Annick's




28 novembre 2009 (Day 89)
Today, regardless of the head cold I woke up with, I took the 90 minute bus ride to Annick’s house in the country for a play practice. It was so much fun. Annick had the costumes for the play so everyone was trying on costumes and picking their outfits for the play. I have a hideous white dress straight out of the early nineties that should have been burned in one of the French strikes. Her house is so cute and her husband is adorable. He made us some amazing couscous and vegetables (carrots, zucchini, onion, chick peas) with a lot of meat (lamb, beef, who knows what else). I learned how he makes his couscous. Let it soak twice, then steam it warm and add butter and cinnamon for a delicious taste.
Afterward an extremely filling lunch, we went outside to the barn/art exposition/gallery/theater/party place to run through the play. It was really cold but we had fun with the rain bleating outside and us in a barn that is who knows how old.
We had tea, coffee, and cake afterwards to warm up and then had to catch the bus back to Nantes. I played with Addison, Melanie’s four-year-old daughter who is bilingual (and knows more French than I do). We played simon says and hide and go seek. She was really cute and played in the last scene with me and was so cute with Annick’s husband Affif. Affif was telling her about the cats and he is just a cute old man and a great grandpa. He is also a fantastic artist and his paintings were all over the house.
It was still pouring so I was completely soaked when I got to the church for the fireside on the history of the church in France (which didn’t get over until after 10pm). Before the fireside, I helped take down all the stuff from the 30-year anniversary/open house of that church building. It was a really interesting fireside, but it was a little late and I was very tired, so I was dosing off a little bit.