Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day 78: Totor Hugo



17 novembre 2009 (Day 78)
Exciting news today! My writing teacher said that my writing is getting better and sounding less English-like. To be honest, I made an effort to write things how I know they are in French, and not write all the things I wanted to express. It is a reversion back to the sassy French writing Mari than the, ”I can say all my thoughts that I think in English in French” that my teachers in America tried to breed. I’m also trying to embrace the fact that I have a “cute American accent.” Apparently I said one of my lines on theatre today ridiculously American. I didn’t notice, but my teacher was laughing hard enough that she had to stop us mid-scene and apologize for laughing so much. We had a test in writing that I really enjoyed (diabolical, isn’t it?). We had 2 hours to either resume an article in 160 words or write an argument on why blogs are so darn popular (that is easy, it is because of cool blogs like mine!) or the quote by Victor Hugo “Open a school and you close a prison.” I enjoyed writing over 4 pages while frantically searching for the correct spelling of words in a French dictionary. Hopefully my paper was fluid and made sense. There isn’t much to say about oral today, other than that I was being really sassy back to my teacher. I guess I had a lot of energy today (I’ve definitely been hungry enough!).
Mathilde has already had two people email her about being interested in her being an au pair for them. She was really excited and nervous about it so she showed me their letters. We read them and responded to them. One lives in Virginia just outside of DC (2 boys) and the other in Rochester (3 girls). Mathilde is really hoping to be an au pair in New York City (it IS the dream). The mother from Rochester actually called because she hadn’t received an email reply back yet (she had written the email SIX hours early). Needless to say, Mathilde was quite flustered when she got this call in the middle of our lesson. I want to be an au pair! Or just a nanny in the US. The families seem really nice and it would be a fun experience.
I am totally craving couquettes today. Thus I am working it into my schedule to go downtown and buy some, as well as do so produce shopping, I am all out of practically all food!