Thursday, November 5, 2009

Day 65: Making Honey Dijon

4 novembre 2009 (Day 65)
Goodness me! I am not on task today. Mathilde cancelled lessons again today and I have somehow whittled away all that spare time I had to study. It all started with a message that I got from Brooke. We have found a family who is willing to have us during our Christmas break down by Nice. They are beekeepers with 3 children and goats! I therefore began to check flight prices from England to Nice, which led to checking other flights, which led to starting to plan next semester’s vacations as well as summer plans. I suppose I will continue to talk about my day in reverse, maybe it will make in more interesting. I asserted my dominance! I bought some new mustard that was supposed to be mild, but doesn’t taste very mild to me. I was sad that I’d have to throw it out and then I thought HONEY DIJON MUSTARD! And so I made myself some. There is nothing like honey to sweeten up life. After dinner I foraged on several cookies. I had a salad and I made some mashed potatoes from the box (they’ve got nothing on fake Idaho potatoes) and green beans for dinner. The article we discussed today in class was about a publicity of some famous sweater company that had all the models handicapped one time. It lead to some really interesting discussions about “politically correct” labeling and the coldness of France. The Ghanans are awed at how rude and individualistic we all are. I would like to go to Ghana because it sounds like everyone is really nice and respectful there. They were shocked that a restaurant manager would ask someone who is handicapped in a wheelchair to leave because it was disturbing other customers. I did my homework in the TU Café after my home lunch on the main floor of the RU Terte. There were lots of board games at the café that I wanted someone to teach me how to play. In culture we talked about a French author and really really analyzed his text. What I mean to say is that we had to do the analyzing that I hate, not the kind with Annick where we get off subject and it is entertaining but the “I think I am the author and so what was I meaning when I used this word instead of this word and since I think I’m the author and know what he was thinking I also want you to tell me why you think he wrote like this and the 5 sections this text is divided into although I really don’t want your opinion but what I think is to be fact when analyzing a work really is just opinion.” I was starting to fall asleep. I did some homework before class. I also went on a run. It was great to be out running again. It seems like I’ll have to go in the mornings because it likes to rain once I am done with classes in the afternoon and it seems to be a pretty normal thing. I also decided to try to wake up earlier since my bladder always wakes me up at 6am and then the rest of my sleeping time is very fitful and feels more like 10 minutes instead of an hour, so I might as well go to bed an hour earlier and wake up at 6am with my bladder. I am just hoping that I can keep myself awake and roll myself out of bed into my shoes. That is always the hardest part, because once I am out there I am ever so glad I went.