Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 101: Goodbye Seattle

Fake Mustaches!
16 euro steak with the amazing secret sauce.

A must see movie! Oscar and the Lady in Pink

10 decembre 2009 (Day 101)
It is pretty insane that I am in the double digits now. I keep looking at it and thinking, “Wow.”
Well, I slept in today since I didn’t get in until about 3 last night. I woke up around 11, took a shower, some ibuprofen (one for my headache and one for my hip), drank some oj, and did yoga until I woke up. Today Afton, Nathan, and I went to see a movie called, “Oscar et la Dame Rose” (Oscar and the Pink Lady). It was a really great movie about a little 10-year-old boy, Oscar, who has terminal cancer and this lady who dresses in pink (named Rosie) that comes to visit him. Each day she visits they pretend that he is 10 years older and he sends a letter to God on a balloon. At the end he dies and it is very sad, but it was an excellent movie. The actors were great, as was the style of the film and the storyline. It is actually based off of a popular children’s book with the same title here in France. The part that made me cry was after he died he left his “inheritance” to “his adopted daughter” Rosie so his parents brought it over and it was his stuffed animal and other things that he loved. There was a great guitar part at the end during his funeral that I want to learn how to play. Afton cried as well and Michael slept. He had to wake up for his oral expression exam today and he actually drank last night, so he was pretty tired, so he slept.
Tonight Afton coordinated a big last hoorah for everyone. We are going to the famous restaurant Entrecote that serves only steak and fries. We got several funny looks for having a party of ten, but we had a lot of fun. I got my steak almost still mooing (that is to say medium rare). I was actually a little disappointed with the steak (I had a better one this summer by Bishop Edwards) but their secret sauce and fries were delish. About half of the group bought dessert and each dish looked delightful. Nathan let me eat some of his ice cream.
After dinner we went to Dehli’s, most of the Seattle kids favorite coffee shop by day, bar by night. By that time the majority of us had already walked to Dehli’s with our fake mustaches, which caused quite the scene. Afton’s mom sent Afton a party-celebration package which included Fiesta decorations, mustaches, and confetti eggs (eggs filled with confetti that you smash on people’s heads). We had a lot of fun manipulating the mustaches and getting confetti everywhere. Even the bar tender got in on the mustache fun. He cut his fake mustache into a little Hitler ‘stache which was quite charming. Michael and Nathan and some of the other boys were crazy and got these giant mugs that contained a liter of beer. I don’t know how they drink it, it smells like the fridges filled with nasty bacteria and fungi in the plant pathology lab to me (same with wine). I can’t even imagine sipping on a drink of erwinia amylovra or yeast and e. coli. Nasty!
It was a lot of fun for most of the Seattle kids’ last night. We went to Buck McMulligan’s after Dehli’s to say hi to Ian who was working there and just hung out and talked and continued to switch around mustaches. Michael’s mustache made him look Mexican (he is Chinese), Sam’s made him look like a father, and Nathan’s made him look like a hippie with his long hair. Some people bet Nathan that he couldn’t pick up a French girl with his mustache. He lost. We took the last tram home when the boys talking in German accents with their mustaches and having thumb wars to take and then said our sad goodbyes. I am going to miss all those Seattle kids!