Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 96: A Perfect Day in Pemberly





5 decembre 2009 (Day 96)
Today was quite a busy day! I woke up and did yoga (and only hit my hand on something once, an improvement for me). Afterwards I had breakfast and met Afton up to go to the market and then the museum. We had a lot of fun at the market, there were a lot of new vendors. Today I bought: some apple juice, an AMAZING almond croissant, bananas, and 1 kilo of: tomatoes, Clementine’s, and apples.
We met up with Sophie and our art teacher to see the new exhibit on Italy. Afton had a hard time with the lockers, it was pretty funny because she was cursing up a storm because she couldn’t close the door. There were some great paintings of Italy by people come Picasso, Kandinsky, Monet, etc. It was so beautiful and the museum really reminds me of Pemberly in Pride and Prejudice, especially with the marble floors and busts. I have actually decided that I want to name my daughter (if/when I have one) Darcy after Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice; I think it is a cute name.
After the museum we went to Amorino and afton got some coconut hot chocolate which smelled delightful while I ate my yummy almond croissant that I bought at the market. I have very happy news, there is going to be an Amorino in New York City! I found Harry Potter 2 (which I have been searching for) in a used book store, Afton found some funny postcards at another store, and then it was time for Afton to go home and have lunch. I headed over to the Christmas market. The Christmas Market is just that, a bunch of artisans selling Christmas gifts! The thing that I saw which I liked most were these planets you could hang from the ceiling. There were two guys dressed up as a pope and a monk. They were trying to scare people. I ran into Sophie long hair (from Seattle) who convinced me to try roasted chestnuts. They were quite delicious (and semi messy). Sadly it started pouring, so we went off on an adventure to find shelter. We avoided the moldy chestnuts, but ate all the others. Now I know why there is a song about chestnuts roasting on an open fire!
To add to my Pemberly day, I went on a “Balade en Bateau” aka a sightseeing tour on a boat. It was to see the “chateaux” along the Erdre. When they said chateau I thought castle. They meant really big houses, like Pemberly in Pride and Prejudice. So I was a little disappointed, but it was still fun because my friend Andrei who I met when I went to St. Malo and his friend. They played some good and not-so-good music while going down the river among all the wind surfers, canoers, and other boat people. Andrei said that my accent sounds a lot better from the last time that we met, but I can’t tell that it is any different.
I came home with my cold toes and made some gnocchi that I had with some lovely tomato sauce. To finish off my perfectly Pemberly day, I am watching Pride and Prejudice, especially since we talked about it all the while admiring the art in the museum.